Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

New guy with a few questions..

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Default New guy with a few questions..

I'm new to these forums, so please go easy on me. I have a few questions about a truck that my grandpa left me when he passed away. It's a 1990 Chevrolet Silverado, and it was sitting at his house for about 2 years without being driven. I had to put in a new battery before I crank it up the first time, but it crank right up after the new battery was installed. But, now the radio doesn't come on in it. I figured there is probably some code or something I need to put in to get the radio back on. Any help on that will be appreciated. Also, I found out as I stop at a stop sign or when I'm in reverse and turn the wheels sharp, it will start sputtering and sometimes cut off. My brother has the same problem with is truck, and it is the exact same model as mine. I've been trying to figure out what could cause that, but I can't find out what it is to save my life. I REALLY need to fix this because I'm planning on driving it soon. So, if you have any information or ideas that will help me out with this, please let me know. That is all of the questions for now, I may be back with a few more later. Thanks in advanced.

Old 01-29-2006, 11:28 PM
Default RE: New guy with a few questions..

taking the battery out will only affect the radio in one way, if its a digital radio the clock will restart or the station memory will erase, if its a stock AM radio, try unlugging it and cleaning the terminals and the antenna connection on the back. as for the steering problem the only thing i can think of is the power steering pump is low or worn out?

Old 07-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Default RE: New guy with a few questions..

Let's start with the radio, does the radio have the words "THEFT LOCK" printed on it anywhere? If it does take the radio out of the truck and take it to your local chevy dealer. They will retrieve the theft lock code out of the radio with a computer. Have your V.I.N.# and proof of ownership of the truck with you or thay will not give you the unlock code. As for the stalling if the truck has been sitting for 2 years the gas is definitely stale.
drain tank and refill with premium.Drive on the highway for a few miles stomp that pedal a little bit. See if this helps with the stalling. If not try a routine tune-up and/or replace the throttle position sensor.