General Motors Tech Chevy tech talk within.

problems with older engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Default problems with older engine

I hope you guys don't mind me posting here, I don't have a pickup its a 67 chevy school bus with a 292, 4 speed with split rear end.

The guy I got the bus from had let the bus sit for two years, said he had rebuilt the carb in order to get it moved the 75 miles he drove it. It had sat for twenty years before he bought it.

Here my history with it...

I did a regular tune up, plugs, points, condensor, changed the oil, it was thin and black, even put fresh oil in the air filter (oil bath).

When I started it it ran only a little better than before, put the timing light on it and it was set way advanced, when I put it at 4 before tdc, it started idling a lot better. Checked the dwell and it was way off, I checked the points, confirmed they were set at 19 and with the timing set at 4 before it started to idle decent, however it still didn't sound right.

The next day I went out to start it to see if my ears had changed, it would'nt start, wound up running down the battery, once I got it charged, I went and picked up a carb rebuild kit, the guy I had got it from said he had rebuilt it two years ago, from the tarnish inside I don't think so, the body gaskets looked like they had been changed, but that was it.

Just as I was about to put the carb together a gust of wind came up and blew the small gaskets and springs away, will go get another kit today, but I put it together with mostly new stuff.

It still will not start, but it will try with staring fluid, I did notice the gas has a funny yellow color, could I be dealing with old gas?

Two things I have noticed, one is the distributor... when you set the timing and then tighten the hold down bolt it changes the timing, almost 4 degrees, now I have always been a ford guy, fords don't do that, is that common for chevy's? Or is this a problem? I can remember hearing the timing chain, in fact I checked the oil afterwards, it was as high on the stick as it should be, there isn't any more slop at the distributor than there should be. I was able to get it set at 8 before tdc, then when I tightened the bolt it was sitting right around 4 as it should be, and when it was idling it didn't move.

The other is the gas, it could be that the gas in the tank is too old to fire up the way it should.

I am seeking other opinions on this, hope this too lengthy a post is discriptive enough for you.

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Default RE: problems with older engine

Here I am replying to my own post, got the bus started today, all it took was some fresh gas and another fuel filter, found an inline filter near the tanks, changed it and put in the fresh gas and it started right up, wouldn't idle though, I'll deal with that tomorrow.