General Motors Tech Chevy tech talk within.

warm start problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Default warm start problem

I have a 2000 silverado with a 5.3L engine that starts fine in the morning or when it has cooled down. The problem is that when the truck is restarted it takes about 10-15 seconds of cranking before it will start. When it does start it will generally sputter a little bit and then it runs perfectly again. Sometimes when it has to crank over especially long I will hit the accelerator and it will start a little quicker but sputters for a few seconds. There is no loss of power and the mileage is good. I changed the air filter and pcv valve, put some high quality injector cleaner through it and the problem persists...I am going to change the fuel filter, maybe the plugs too, but I don't think it is necessary because there is no problem after it runs for a minute or two. Could this be a EGR valve going bad or some sensor? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 03-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Default RE: warm start problem

I experienced a similar problem on a 77 chevy. the problem turnred out to be the coil. Im not exactly sure what the deal was but when the coil was warm it expanded then wouldnt create hardly any power until it cooled down. the only difference with my problem was that the truck either wouldnt run or barely ran until it did cool down. that may be a good place to check though. good luck and keep on truckin

Old 04-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Default RE: warm start problem

put a fuel gauge on it. probley after you drive it to work you let it sit about an hour go back out and it takes 15 to 20 sec to start then sputters. i would bet the fuel psi or injectors are leaking down. just get you a cheep fuel pressure gauge or borrow one. put it on and see if the pressure bleeds down over an hour or so.