General Truck Tech Do you have a question that doesnt apply to a certain make or model, ask it here!
View Poll Results: Which make would you suggest?
Dodge
0%
GMC
0%
Chevy
100.00%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Advice on which brand of truck to go with

Old 04-06-2013, 05:58 AM
Beginner
Default Advice on which brand of truck to go with

So I'm looking into getting a truck again and have been searching for a few days around the web and located some I want to go take a look at. I'm debating between a Chevy Silverado and a couple Dodge Rams. The following trucks are what I'm debating between:

3 separate vehicles - 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Ext. Cab 4X4
2003 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4
1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS

2001After hearing someone say Dodge has a history of having problems with their transmissions over time, I'm now a little concerned looking at these 2 Rams even though the dealer of one said there was no mechanical issues going on with the one they have for sale. So I turn to those who would know best - those who own and love trucks and would know more than a dealer would who's just trying to sell a truck. My question is - is this true? Does Dodge have a history of their engines going out sooner or later? Should I just stick with Chevy who I've always heard good things about? Or is this one of those things it just depends on how you take care of the truck, depends on the particular truck, etc? Any and all advice, comments, suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated as I can use all the help I can get before making this kind of purchase.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Let me start by Welcoming you to Truck Forums, but it looks like you've been a member for quite some time. (joined Feb 2009 and your first post June 2013)

Sadly, some time purchasing a truck can some times be the luck of the draw.
All trucks have their good points and their bad points.

Most loyal Dodge owners will tell you the Dodge caravans created Dodge's bad rep of bad transmissions. Granted there is a few stories of the RAMs having issues too. But as it is with all the big three truck manufacturer... if the truck has a good history of regular maintenance and all warranty work and bulletins address you may buy a truck one will be able to depend on.
Some people ask for the car FAX LOL Try asking for a vehicle service history and warranty history.
I have owned them all. but I'am a admitted loyal Chev guy. and have come back to Chev.
I enjoined all the trucks I've owned. They all had their good points.
My Ford was comfortable and a sharp looking truck.
My Dodge was a long running economical and reliable truck (until the end)
My chev trucks were reliable, affordable.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:14 AM
Beginner

I agree with what In2Trux says, every bucket truck has its own good and bad points. However, personally I too am a Chev guy and would recommend you to stick with it as it is the most reliable of all.