General Truck Tech Do you have a question that doesnt apply to a certain make or model, ask it here!

Determining Book Value of Total Loss Vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 06:21 AM
Beginner
Default Determining Book Value of Total Loss Vehicle? Over-priced trucks?

I got in an accident that wasn't my fault. The car is likely a total loss salvaged by their ins and I'll get the book value. When I check sites like Kelley Blue Book, I'm not sure which quote I can argue for if need be, either "I plan to sell it myself" or "I plan to trade it in" etc etc.

Official Kelley Blue Book New Car and Used Car Prices and Values

zip code 08901
1998 Mercury Mystique 6 cylinder LS sedan 4D
118,000 miles

When it gets to this page Kelley Blue Book
I have all the specs already checked by default ^ except it has a single CD player instead of a casette radio. It has ABS not checked by default as if the car doesn't have ABS which is hard to beleive but not impossible. I googled and found ABS sensors for 98 mystiques, and I have the top model LS so I assume it has ABS, but either way, I guess assume that it doesn't have ABS.

The car's in fair, good, or very good condition, so I guess give me quote on all three. There's nothing in it except the manual after I cleaned it. There's very minor dents and scratches on the body and the inside is still kind of dirty even though I vacuumed the whole thing with a strong shopvac, but if I had to I could probably shampoo everything to reach very good condition but the assessor should be here today before I can shampoo it.

The thing that pisses me off is it doesn't exactly look like an old car and only has 118K miles and ran great, but KBB's quotes only like $2K in good condition, $1,700 fair conditionm and only like $1,300 in good condition if I 'trade it in".
I plan on getting a small truck with extended cab that's basically a 4cyl car in a truck body with no power seats, windows etc, cheap rims, but when I look on even craigslist which should have the lowest prices besides an auto auction that I'd need to be registered for, there's basically nothing nearly that cheap for what I'm looking for with miles under even 150K. People want like $3,500 firm for trucks under 120K miles running good even 1999 models.
KBB values a 98 tacoma auto extended cab with 120K miles and not even an air conditioner at like 5 grand in good condition, a 99 dakota extended 4cyl 120K miles at like $3,200 in good condition, a 99 ford ranger with about the same specs is about $3,400.
So why are these small trucks so expensive? There's basically cars that they only had to build like %30 of the interior and the bed is the rest. Just cause they have rear wheel drive that costs more to manufacture?

Last edited by tanger3424; 01-10-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:43 PM

Trucks just tend to hold the value better than cars, especially basic sedans.......not sure why.