General Truck Tech Do you have a question that doesnt apply to a certain make or model, ask it here!

K&N intakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Default K&N intakes

Im looking at intakes and cat back exhausts, and was wondering if the K&N intakes really increase the HP the way they state, or is it just a sales pitch?

also im trying to find dual cat back exhaust, im only findin side pipe?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Default RE: K&N intakes

FWIW
I had a 2,000 Durango R/T 5.9 (past tense, it was totalled last month, replaced it with a 2K Tahoe). I put an AirRaid CAI on it. Here's a link to another forum where I discussed it.
http://www.4x4dodge.us/forum/viewtop...sc&start=0 I think pulling the flap at the front to let the aircome in straight at the filter element helped a lot. It's all there in the thread. Even though I had good luck with the AirRaid, in looking at CAI's for the 'Ho I think the K&N would be less restrictive for me this time around.

I also have a '98 Ram with the 5.2. A friend had a '97 with the 5.9 and was looking to dual it out. The owner of the local muffler shop told him he'd be glad to but for less money he could put a 3" cat back pipe and a Spintech muffler on it and get the same benefit. I did the same to my 5.2. It was difficult to tell exactly how much difference it made for me as other mods were made around the same time. My friend did the exhaust and an AirRaid TBS at the same time. I know some people think the TBS is crap but he said he could light them up after the two mods and couldn't before. The Spintech is a higher flow muffler that gave the Ram a little throatier (is that a word?) sound, it's not as loud as the Flowmasters, but is has a nice distinct sound to it.