General Truck Tech Do you have a question that doesnt apply to a certain make or model, ask it here!

Which mid-size to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 12:04 AM
Default Which mid-size to buy?

Hello,
I am in the market for a new vehicle and would like to get a mid-size pickup. I have never owned a pickup truck.

I would like something capable of hauling my Honda Rancher ATV as payload. I would also like something with some off road capabilities. Mostly for getting to ATV trails. I am thinking 4x4 is a must.

I am comparing the following 2010 models:
Nissan Frontier v6 4x4
Toyota Tacoma v6 4x4
Ford Ranger v6 4x4

A little ability to tow is good too because I might get a camper in the future.

So far I am leaning most towards the Tacoma with the access cab. The Ranger seems to offer more options at a comparable price.

I would like advice, and as many comments/comparisons as possible on these vehicles. Other vehicle suggestions are welcome.

I would like something 1/2 way decent on fuel; if possible. I'm not expecting a prius. However, I currently own a 2008 Rav4 and get about 26mpg. So this is what I am comparing to.

I am also up in the air on, which cab to get.

Let the GREAT DEBATE begin!!!!!!!

Thanks.

Last edited by wildforager; 01-17-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Forgive me for not completely answering your question, but I am not a fan of midsize trucks. I have never been a fan of the "little trucks".

I feel like in today's world, the difference between a full size and mid-size pickup is so huge that when buying one of those little trucks, you are really buying a car. I feel like I will never be satisfied with a 200hp 4 banger in a truck with a small cab, no leg room, and minimal payload/towing capacity that gets 22mpg is in no way better than a 315hp V8 with a huge cab, comfortable seating capacity, and the ability to throw whatever you want in the back and still get 20 mpg.

As far as I'm concerned, the only upside to a little truck is that it may be a little easier to park and corner.

Welcome to the forum by the way, and I'm sure someone else will be able to comment on this one.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:05 AM

Thanks, but I am not interested in a full size. They cost more ($$$), have worse gas mileage, and is more excessive power than I need. All I need is to be able to haul my ATV, and get back and forth to work. Maybe some off-roading too.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Yeah I gotcha... It's just my opinion on the matter... I don't like to be cramped Anyways, hopefully some of the other guys will chime in because I know absolutely nothing about the Japanese trucks and I hate Ford.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:24 AM

I'm not totally against considering the 2010 Silverado. However, I think the 22 mpg for a v8 is a gimmick! Especially with any ability to tow, or with 4x4. That is where I see the big difference between the full-size, and mid-size trucks.

You can get a fully stacked (4x4, tow package, etc) mid-size truck and still get decent MPG. If you get all those options on a full-size, your MPG goes down dramatically.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:56 PM

I would go with the tacoma even though i own a colorado. Unless you feel like dishing out the money for a colorado 4x4 with the 5.3 liter but I don't think they are all that great on gas.