GM How-To's and Tutorials Have a project you're working on? Take pictures and write up a procedure...We'll post it here!

Fixing the tow/haul button

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Default Fixing the tow/haul button

I have read that this is a notorious problem with the Chevy trucks.

1) use a T25 Torx bit and remove the 2 screws from the bottom of the steering column cover.

2) separate the two pieces and take a look at the orange wire leading into the shifter. (note that the orange is just a coating for two small wires, not mentioned in a lot of forums that I searched, so be sure to mark them, just one of mine was broke but needed to cut both to fix)

3) once the wires are marked, cut the wire where the break is. (mine broke right at the spot where their is a wire holder. Go figure they put a wire holder where their is tension. I'm going to make a safe bet that thats where most have broke)

4) strip both ends of both wires, then fold the wire in order to double up the copper. (makes it easier to use butt connectors)

5) attach the butt connectors to both ends of both wires and crimp them on. (give a LIGHT tug to see if the connector is secure)
( I didn't, but if you choose, you can use shrink wrap. cut it to desired length and slide it over the butt connectors.

6) get a piece of wire, same gage or bigger (i used 18 as thats the smallest I had) cut it to the desired length and strip both ends. give yourself a little slack as you don't want it to pinch again, but not too much where it can get caught up somewhere else.

7) place the wire in the opposite end of the butt connectors and crimp the connector. (give a LIGHT tug to see if the connector is secure)

8) once secure, put your shrink wrap over the connection and shrink away.
I used the electrical tape method as I didn't want to take the chance in melting anything, it's a tight space to work in and I didn't want to fix anything else.

9) put the key in and start the truck, push the button and you should see the tow/haul in the top right corner of your instrument panel ( for 2000 silverado anyways)

10) snap the plastic back together and put the screws back in and voila!!!

I'm no electrician or mechanic (far from it), but it took me 25 min on my lunch break in the parking lot at work to fix it.

Hope this will help all that have this issue, seems to be a pretty common problem.