New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Hello! Brought a '93 Chevy s10 back from the dead

Old 01-22-2015, 05:57 PM
Beginner
Default Hello! Brought a '93 Chevy s10 back from the dead

Hello everyone! New to the forums and looking forward to learning a lot here!

A quick history:

I bought a '93 Chevy s10 pick-up (2wd v6) from a good friend of mine a couple of years ago for $50 and some free babysitting/cleaning. The truck had sat on the side of their house for several months after they had been driving it with an overheating problem--they were putting water in the radiator every time they drove it. So I knew it would need some work. The body and interior is quite beat up, half the dash is missing, no heat or radio, door doesn't latch, all kinds of fun stuff.

I had a mechanic friend, so we spent a couple weekends getting to the mechanical issues: changing the intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets, and cleaning up all the gunk and dirt that had built up in those areas. Also bought new radiator, water pump, and thermostat. Still overheating so we changed the head gaskets and cleaned up more gunk and build up. We had air powered wire wheels, so we got everything super clean and even repainted everything with engine enamel. After all this work, still overheating and now was billowing white clouds from under the truck (after painstaking hours trying to time the engine). We pulled out one of the spark plugs and it had coolant on it--a sure sign that the engine block was cracked. After several hundred dollars and dozens of hours of work I was a bit sour about this.

We didn't stop there though. My mechanic friend worked for a Toyota dealership, so we were able to get a rebuilt v6 Vortec engine for $1100. So we set to swapping out the engine. After tons of work we got the job done. It ran great for a while but now it is having some issues--which is why I am on the forums. I had a falling out with the mechanic friend and have also since relocated. I like to do everything myself and spend hours watching YouTube videos anytime I do work on the truck.

TL;DR
I bought an old s10 from a friend for super cheap that needed lots of work. After doing gasket jobs, cleaning the gunk build up, and replacing other parts we ended up swapping out the engine because we discovered the block was cracked. After running well for a while the truck now has a few issues that I am trying to fix myself, so I am turning to the expertise here on the forums!

Thanks for reading! See you all around the forums

Old 01-23-2015, 09:08 AM
Beginner

Welcome to the forum

Old 01-23-2015, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Welcome to Truck Forums Slicedpi
Glad you joined. Hope you enjoy your stay