New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Need help buying first diesel?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Default Need help buying first diesel?????

Hello, I'm looking to buy a new truck, I sell tractors ranging from 27hp to 114hp. Currently I use a 2001 Chevy 1500HD ( gas). Even though it’s a great truck it just has a hard time with hauling the larger tractors. This will be my first time owning a diesel and I need some honest and fair comments on which diesel to buy. Whichever one I do purchase I'm planning on having for a long time. I have researched a little and it looks as if I 'm deciding between the new Cummins 6.7 and the new duramax. I saw some statements that the Cummins gets better mpg. Is this true? ( due to it will be a large factor in the purchase ). Make of a truck really doesn’t matter along as I'm getting a durable diesel. Thanks for any comments I would really appreciate them!!!!

Old 03-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Default RE: Need help buying first diesel?????

You know I drive a chevy and love it but I'm not gonna lie to you. If you are looking for a good nice durable disel truck look into a ford. However I have driven my friends 3500 Duramax with the allison transmission and damn that thing is sweet I mean quiet interior and all the power you would ever need. Heads up on the disels make sure you get the 4 wheel drive. i can't tell you how many big trucks that I have seen stuck in the mud just because they are so heavy. Hope this helps.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Default RE: Need help buying first diesel?????

I'm new to diesels (as an owner) althought I luv my Ford I wouldn't buy a new F450 this year as it's the 1st year for these F450 diesels. You could check out the various sites and see what they're recomending but it appears to me that no matter which truck you buy you'll have to do a few mods to improve the milage as the tree huggers have made the builders add so much cr_p to the new trucks that they get teribble milage. The Cummins May?? get the best milage however I don't think they're built as tough as Fords.(the engine is awesome, it's just that dodge wrapper it comes in) I've owned at least20 gas trucks over the years and except for a couple of glitch years, in general ford leads the way in overall toughness this may not be an issue for you as you'll be the one driving it and I assume you'll take care of it.
I'd advise checking out the FTE forum,DTE forum and the chev. forumI'm not sure what it's name is. I think if you need a brand new truck you should hold off for 1 year until Ford has proven themselves (but the 6.4 milage sucks) A good way to answer this question is to look at what your largest city tow truck operation is running. The 1 I used to drive for buys Fords from2001-2004