New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to Forums - New to Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 07:32 PM
Beginner
Default New to Forums - New to Trucks

Hello,

I'm a mechanical technologist with a general interest in all things automotive; though I haven't had a lot of experience working on cars or trucks (I've typically done my own oil changes, brakes, and simple maintenance), I would consider myself mechanically inclined, and am always excited for the opportunity to talk about, or work on, vehicles of all shapes and sizes. Most of my professional career has been in front of a computer using SolidWorks or other CAD programs to design parts and assemblies to be manufactured for various industries, ranging from agricultural to architectural; I love the design process, and the learning associated with it, and am always trying to expand my knowledge of how things work and how they are made.

I've always hoped for the chance to have my own project car, as well as some form of motorhome or camper. I've concluded that I can actually do both (over the course of several years) in a more practical way by choosing a truck as my project car. My intention is to buy a used truck in the next few years, doing my best to bring it to perfect working condition, and sometime after, purchase or design and build a truck camper (one on the larger side). With that said, I've done some research and established that the best route for me would be a 1 ton pickup with a dual rear wheel axle and an 8 foot bed; because I like to complicate things, I also decided I'd like the ability to go off road (nothing crazy like rock crawling) in less than ideal road conditions, so a "lightly" upgraded 4 x 4 setup is a definite must down the road.

I'm looking forward to hearing from the community as I do my best to contribute to, and learn from, the numerous threads on Truck Forums. I always welcome the opportunity to grow, so I am stoked for the chance to be advised by people much more knowledgeable than myself. Sharing advice or information that helps people grow, and achieve their goals, is something I value wholeheartedly. I hope to eventually be as helpful to others as they will be to me!