New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Newbie w 85 Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Default Newbie w 85 Chevy

Hey all,
New and looking for a good forum for info and friendly help. I've registered at a couple of different sites. Can't stand the ones where everyone bashes each other and tells people they are stupid, etc, etc.

I spend most of my forum time around my 99 Regal GS which, but I'm trying to get my truck on the road. I think I'm there but won't know for a day or so until I get fix a battery issue.

I have an 85 Chevy. It's got a 350 as far as I can tell. The truck has a bit of a story. I bought it off of a younger kid. He worked for a body shop so the paint and body is very good. The truck was actually pieced together from a few separate vehicles and not exactly sure on the motor. He said it had about 30k on it since rebuild, but no idea how many miles or anything. I just rebuilt the carburator yesterday. The carb is a 79 Rochester Quadrajet. We'll see how I did. Upon first start it fired like a champ(unlike before when I would try to start the truck), but fuel was spraying everywhere because I didn't have the fuel filter housing tightened properly. Haven't had a chance to try again due to battery issue, so we'll see soon.

I'll be searching around, but if any of you have links to threads I need, please post. I think I have the belts on correctly, but searching for over an hour on the internet I couldn't find a diagram for the accessory belts on this thing. Also, any links to how to adjust Rochester carburetor would be great. It's got an electric choke, but I think that it needs to be adjusted.

Last edited by glendayle; 06-26-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Welcome! and that is a sweet truck you got there. Hopefully someone here will help you with any questions you have. If you can't find an answer, feel free to post up! We've got plenty of GM enthusiasts and a handful of guys with the older pickups that I'm sure will be able to help get you running again

Old 06-26-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by GMCSierraFan
Welcome! and that is a sweet truck you got there. Hopefully someone here will help you with any questions you have. If you can't find an answer, feel free to post up! We've got plenty of GM enthusiasts and a handful of guys with the older pickups that I'm sure will be able to help get you running again
Thanks,
That's what I'm hoping for. She actually was running until I pulled the carb off recently. Hopefully she just runs better! Initially I was surprised that it's hard to find people that had rebuilt a carb, but once I thought about it and realized that carbs haven't been widely used vehicles for 25 years it makes more sense. After overhauling this thing, I'm appreciated the carburetor. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't love the fuel injection a lot more. Upon tearing it apart I'm amazed at how sophisticated it really is. In a lot of ways it's more sophisticated than EFI.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:58 PM
TruckForum Addict

sweet looking truck and is your truck where it takes one surpentine belt or two individual belts
as i know some trucks take one or two
but there shoud be a diagram on the radiator support top side where it says fan but if thats not there i would suggest gooing to a junkyard maybe they have one still around with that peice and sticker or belts still on so you can get a feel for it

Old 06-26-2011, 10:11 PM

It takes multiple belts which is why I called them accessory belts vs calling it serpentine belt. One thing interesting that I just haven't noticed before messing with these is that all the pulleys turn the same direction which is not the case on the serp belt systems(at least I don't think they do). There is no diagram there where it should be. I'll have to take a look at the JY the next time I'm out there.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:28 PM
TruckForum Addict

yep the jy is allways a good place to look or if you can find another truck around town politly ask the owner to look if they are willing to let you snap a picture of it so you can remember for next time and will have a picture for refence i do that with everything i do so i wont forget and if i do i got references

Old 06-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Senior Site Administrator

Here is a photo of my old 1986 Monte Carlos engine. 350 TPI w/V-belts

Name:  n771764161_1589392_8243335.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  53.6 KB

Old 06-27-2011, 08:28 AM

Thanks nj85z28. That's exatly what I needed. I can't totally tell, but it looks like I have my belts in the same places. I can't tell, but as long as the drivers side belt is going around 4 pulleys(crank, fan, PS, AC) then I did it correctly.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Senior Site Administrator

On my engine the smog and AC were removed as well so yours may vary slightly depending on your situation, but those are the necessary pulleys

Old 06-27-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by nj85z28
On my engine the smog and AC were removed as well so yours may vary slightly depending on your situation, but those are the necessary pulleys
Yours looks like you have the same issue, but the belt closer to the firewall comes awefully close to the lower radiator hose. In mine the previous belt actually wore a little groove in the lip of the hose.

On a brighter note. Turned out my battery was bad. Less than a year old so replaced at no charge. Turned the ignition and she started like a champ. Runs way better than before I redid the carburetor. Now I need to take it to get the safety and emissions done. My wife wants me to sell it because we don't have a lot of room at the house, but I'm torn. I'd rather sell my motorcycle but my wife wants me to keep that.