New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Nother New Member

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Default Nother New Member

How's it going guys? My dad has a 97 Silverado that's currently my daily driver as my Camaro gets repaired. It's black, 4x4, step-side, short bed, single cab. It looks nice IMO, but needs more tire under it, and possilby a light bar and brush guard. What's the biggest tires you can put on these things at stock height? That's not the reason why I joined though; since this is my daily driver, I want it to get the best gas mileage it can. Right now, it's pulling an amazing 11MPG . It has been sitting for a while, so I'm sure that has part to do with it. I plan on doing a full tune-up: new plugs, new air filter, oil change, new oil filter, just flushed the radiator (water pump went out), might even seafoam it. Then a cold air intake (may just make one, not sure yet), along with some headers and maybe a new exhaust. It has a flowmaster muffler on it, but I'm not sure if it's just a muffler or complete system. What kind of mileage are you guys getting with yours? I'll try and get some pics later today, don't have the camera with me ATM

Old 01-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Default RE: Nother New Member

Welcome! Sounds like you got the truck modding fever bad! Sports cars are fun, i've had more than my share, but a big fast 4x4 sitting high is what it's all about. You'lllike thisforum as itis dominated by diehard chevy fanboys, not alot of info for non-gm trucks, but we all get along here just fine- usually!

Old 01-24-2008, 09:57 AM

well, I love my car more than the truck actually. I miss my Camaro . But, since it's inoperable ATM, the truck is my main means of transportation. I'm trying to save up some cash to repair my car, but with the way the truck's drinking gas, I keep ending up in the hole.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:08 PM

Welcome to the forums Rad. Seems like your in a predicament. Id suggest doing what you said you were and tune up the chevy. She shouldn't be getting you that bad of gas mileage. But it also depends on how you treat her and other things like elevation, incline driving and such.. But with a few mods she should be getting at least 15+.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:37 PM

It's all flatland mostly here. A few minor hills, but nothing big. You could easily walk up and over them in a few minutes. It's all mainly highway driving too, and I try to take it easy on the gas pedal. It's in FL, so at, or a tadbit below sealevel. My car's being torn apart tomorrow, so hopefully we can solve the problem and me have her running again. If that happens, then I just might save up some cash and get new tires and all for the truck . I live on a dirt road, so the truck is nice to have.