Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Nother on the cheap mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Default Nother on the cheap mod

As you know by know, I have a 4.3 and I spend most of my time thinking of how make it go as fast as it's much bigger brothers ,4.8, 5.3, and so on. so today i thought, since I am usually ballin on a budget what can i do for free.

Today i descreened my MAF and then thought why stop there? I didn't by the whole CAI set up. I bought a huge K&N cylinder filter and just left it in the bottom part of my stock air box. This was working but as usual it could be better.

The thought was that Half of the filter is not getting fresh air, it is only getting what is coming in to the top of the box. After about 30 minutes of drilling holes in to the bottom half, front, and cold air side of the air box I reassembled. My intent was to drill through the metal plate that it sits on but there is a natural gap created by the posts it sits on. there fore no worries about water and now a "semi forced air box".

Results: much better throttle respose!

I think this has been done before circa redneck ram air.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Default RE: Nother on the cheap mod

Hey popo, did you test the power increase after you descreened the MAF or did you wait untilyou did the MAF and intake?? I read you have better throttle response, but did you notice any increase in power? I have been thinking about descreening my MAF but I suppose I am a little reluctant because of the way my luck has been going lately. Anyway, let me know bro!

Old 03-03-2007, 10:14 PM

I tested the descreen and the drilled intake box together. I had been running the intake already with the screen in. I did this mod on my mustang and it didn't seem to do much but the one on this chevy is WAY BIGGER than the one off the stang I think that it did make a difference.

It only makes sense. After you take it out just blow some air out of your mouth on to your hand. then do the same thing with the screen in the way. It makes sense. CAUTION: BE CAREFUL OF THE SENSORS INSIDE THE MAF IF YOU BREAK THEM YOU WILKL PAY DEARLY!
we all know how your luck is so be extra carful and do it during the day.

Lastly i did notice a power difference at WOT.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:49 PM

ORIGINAL: popo

CAUTION: BE CAREFUL OF THE SENSORS INSIDE THE MAF IF YOU BREAK THEM YOU WILKL PAY DEARLY!
we all know how your luck is so be extra carful and do it during the day.
Now that is funny!! Thanks for the advice bro, I'll try and be careful!