Off Topic A place for you truck junkies to boldly post off topic.

Loading Ramps

Old 12-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Beginner
Smile Loading Ramps

Can you all answer a few questions quickly for me? I have a project for my high school engineering class over loading ramps.

1.) How safe or unsafe do you feel the average loading ramp is for your pick-up truck?

2.) How much are you willing to pay for a set of loading ramps?

3.) What material do you prefer you loading ramps to be made of?

4.) What is a decent weight limit for an average loading ramp?

5.) Would it be convenient if loading ramps were built into the tailgate of the truck and why?

Thank you for your time. I appreciate all the responses I can get.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Administrator

#1 Most Ramps are generally pretty safe. (It's the user that make them unsafe)
#2 I would pay around $200+ for a set of ramps that meet all my needs
#3 I prefer steel if it can be designed in such a way that it can be light in weight.
#4 As in load capacity? 1700lbs As in ramp weight? 40 to 50 Lbs a pc.
#5 I would say NO. Tailgates are already attractive to thieves. Ad a convent drop down loading ramp to a already heavy tailgate and that tailgate will require both arms to lift it to close.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Beginner
Post Great insight!

Thank you for your response. Please quotes this in your posts to get feedback. Any other people would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

-Tyler

Old 12-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Beginner
Exclamation Feedback needed!!!

Anybody willing to provide feedback is greatly appreciated. Can you all answer a few questions quickly for me? I have a project for my high school engineering class over loading ramps.

1.) How safe or unsafe do you feel the average loading ramp is for your pick-up truck?

5.) Would it be convenient if loading ramps were built into the tailgate of the truck and why?

Old 02-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by CantonSouthEDDStudent2014
Anybody willing to provide feedback is greatly appreciated. Can you all answer a few questions quickly for me? I have a project for my high school engineering class over loading ramps.

Regular non-lifted most are safe. The taller the truck the higher the incline that more unsafe it is. Longer ramps 5'-7' for maybe a taller truck or for loading on a semi trailer.(been there done that got hung up on the edge)

$200- $250

Aluminum or steel

We have a set at work that are bent, so I would say closer to 2000lbs-2500lb. I mave seen many bent ones most are rated for 500-1800. a four wheeler may weight upwards of a 1000lbs with a much of stuff and a person. depends on the size of the tractor and if they have any extra weight. side-by-sides can way upwards of 2000 lbs and you can make them weight excess of probably 3000lbs.

seen them they usually also plug into the trailer hitch and the tailgate stays down and it clamps to the tailgate. the ramp folds up and gets locked up some how. Its only convenient if you are using one on a daily basis. plus if you are running many trucks or you buddy want to borrow it its hard to swap or remove.

ramps do need some better traction or some sort of tap. I try driving one up int he rain and nearly lost it(sport quad hand clutch not fun). plus if it dont run and your trying to push it up and you lose tractions your screwed( motocycle) maybe some sort of hatching design. criss cross lines or some sort of grip tap. Hinge on the tabs that sit on the tale gate for taller vehicles and such so that you don't get hung up when backing down.

thanks for the good question