Off Topic A place for you truck junkies to boldly post off topic.

NJ auto auction for $3,000 truck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 01:12 AM
Beginner
Default NJ auto auction for $3,000 truck?

Hi,

I did a few hours research and still know basically nothing about auctions.

The last three cars I got were from a guy I know who gets them at auctions and sells them on the side. I got bargains all three times = approx $2,000 for 8-year old coupes with around 100,000 miles that had no problems and probably would have made it to 200,000 miles...

I'm looking for a particular small truck at $3,000 max = 4 cyl, auto, extended cab, under 100K miles and not over 10 years old.

I found decent deals on craigslist but would like to get an even better deal at an auction.

I know auctions probably charges fees and/or require a membership/license, but aparently it's still justifiable for a low-priced car hence the three $2,000 bargais I've gotten plus the profit the guy made out of that $2,000.

Does anyone know where in NJ/NYC area/Eastern PA area I should look into for a good deal? Do I need a dealers licence and/or would need it towed off the lot and thus wouldn't be worth it to just buy just one car? Should I seek out an established auction reseller and just give them a couple hundred dollars to get me a truck? Should I just get something off craigslist?

Thanks for any help.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:23 AM
Administrator

There is good and bad to all three of your truck shopping scenario
You shopping at a public auction: You will be shopping for a truck that dealers didn't want.
Buying from a dealer: The dealer will mark it up a bit in order to get his cut.
Craig's List: As risky as auctions.. you may be buying somebody else problems but the difference is with craigs list you have the opportunity to inspect the truck more thoroughly then you would at an auction.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:15 PM
Beginner

Thanks.

So how do I go about buiying at an auction? Just because a dealer doesn't want it doesn't mean it's a bad car hence the three past bargains I got that were from auctions plus I'm only spending like $3K for a 10-year old-ish truck most dealers wouldn't bother with.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Administrator

VERY TRUE... You can still find a awesome vehicle, even at Public auctions.
Go to your local auction house or their website and find out when their next public auction is. On that day, you register. and start bidding. (Very easy).
You can also find out if there is an early viewing time.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Beginner

You might also want to look into police auctions, they don't often do this, as far as I know, but every once in a while they auction off impounded cars, when the owner gets financially punished by a court or smth like that. And the vehicles go CHEAP!