Report Concerns, Make Suggestions, & Get Help Using The Forum A.K.A. Feedback Section Have questions, comments, or concerns about the website, post them here! NO TECH POSTS

Undecided newbie with ?s

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Default Undecided newbie with ?s

Ok I'm not sure if this is the proper place for this post, but I can't seem to find a better place so here goes.

I am wanting to buy a truck in the next little while. I would prefer a short box single cab truck from a few years ago (like maybe from the 80's or early 90's)that has bucket seats, or could put bucket seats in. If you have seen Walking Tall with the rock, I want a truck that has the same type of look to it. I know that the 19870-1996 ford f150 is a truck that fits, as is the 1984-1991 chev. I would also prefer to have a 6 cylinder or small 8 cylinder engine, transmission doesnt matter as long as it is good and solid and will last. I wouldn't mind it to have power steering and other nice common things, but it's not necessary. The plan is to have it lifted maybe 4" to 6" and maybe have a body lift on it and then throw on some larger mud/snow tires. I plan on using it through the winter and around town, with maybe a little highway driving.

I am wanting to know which truck is going to be the most reliable, be very solid mechanically (without a lot of problems) have the best (and cheapest) aftermarket support and be the easiest to wrench on for the DIY guy.

So what do you guys think is the best year/model/manufacturer for me to look at? Thank you for the time and input.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Welcome - you are going to get mixed opinions in what is the best most reliable truck. I would say late 80's early 90's Chevrolet or GMC but I am a GM guy so I am a little biased. I think the same era Fords will be a little cheaper or at least they are around here and aren't bad trucks either. The Dodge's around those years will be a little cheaper yet and the ole 318 motor is a very good, simple to work on motor. I just personally think they are ugly as sin, but again I am a GM guy. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:10 AM

Thanks Shamrock, thats helpful.

And really? Nobody else has any opinion on this for me?