Automatic Lights on a Silverado

Old 09-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Question Automatic Lights on a Silverado

Hey Y'all...I work in private security and sometimes drive my truck around at night. I also sit in it with the ignition on for some time. I would like to be able to kill the automatic on my 1999 Silverado. I know I can hit the parking brake while I am sitting still, but is there any way to turn them off when I am driving? If it matters, it is the late 1999 body style.

Thank Y'all!

Old 09-25-2010, 09:39 AM

Try this:

https://www.truckforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=14614

I'm not sure if the wiring is exactly the same for the 99 but it's worth looking into.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Default Here's a new one

Now and again, the automatic lights stop working. For example, they came on when I started my truck last night at work, but turned off after I had driven about 1/4 mile. I think it's time for a new switch or something.

In hopefully unrelated news, I have noticed that the light for the window switch goes off when I try to roll down the window or lock the door but comes on a few seconds later.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Administrator

It's really not all that difficult to just purchase a switch, identify your drl and headlight wires by the switch on your dash, and just splice that in. I have a three position switch that I spliced in for my plow that changes the lights, markers, and blinkers to the plow and shuts off the ones on the truck. After I identified whcih wire had whcih function it was smooth sailing.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by GMCSierraFan
It's really not all that difficult to just purchase a switch, identify your drl and headlight wires by the switch on your dash, and just splice that in. I have a three position switch that I spliced in for my plow that changes the lights, markers, and blinkers to the plow and shuts off the ones on the truck. After I identified whcih wire had whcih function it was smooth sailing.
It's plenty difficult when you don't do electrical word and don't know what kind of switch you need. :-) Also, this thing is having some electrical problems as it is, I think. I don't want to add to it by accidentally cutting something I shouldn't with these stupid gorilla hands haha