Toyota Tundra Discuss the Toyota Tundra here.

2007+ Toyota Tundra Paint Petition

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Default 2007+ Toyota Tundra Paint Petition

Hi All...

I'm an 08 Crewmax owner, and whilst I love the truck... the paint is beyond crap. I've noticed quite a few others have the same problem, and when I bought the truck, I saw the adverts, you know... the truck skidding round, having tons of stuff shoved in the back, grrrrr... its a meaty, tough, truck that'd stand up to the day-to-day action and more.

How wrong I was.

The paint looks as though it was blown on by a 13 year old Thai ladyboy from 6 feet away (well, actually it would probably be better!). It appears as though its one coat over primer, with no clear coat.

Now, I believed Toyota's hype about the truck, and whilst I love every part of it... the paints a huge problem, with several scratches around the truck in the first 2 weeks over careful ownership and the back bed (which you would think would be the most protected probably with what should be similar to the rock guard) has been scratched deeply down to the primer simply by putting in a bed mat.

This is not good enough. Toyota (despite having to confirm to EPA regulations) has SEVERELY skimped on the paint on this truck and got it wrong..

So.. I've setup a petition at http://friendsite.com/users/petition...t+Quality.html

I'd really appreciate it if you could spend 2 seconds signing it - you don't have to be a member and no registration is required. Once sufficient signatures have been reached then I intend to take this Toyota and the press. Thanks All!

Old 12-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Default RE: 2007+ Toyota Tundra Paint Petition

Your Toyota must be an abberation, a fluke, I have an 08 Tundra and the paint is perfect, with a heavy top coat.

I would certainly ask your dealer to put you in touch with a Toyota rep and see what can be done.

On the other hand, it is not uncommon for people who do like like a particular brand to post bogus notes just to try and disrespect the competition.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:13 PM

Hmmm.. from other forums like TundraTalk and TundraHQ, other people would disagree with you.. and with over 275 signatures on my petition, many people are having the same problem AND I've only posted it to a couple of forums.. may I suggest YOUR tundra is a fluke with having a heavy top coat? ;-)

Old 12-24-2008, 09:21 AM

My question would be one of common sense, if you bought a truck with abad paint job, why didn't you notice it before accepting delivery?

The best time to address any defect is before money exchanges hands, that way you have a lot of leverage with the dealer as they want to get the deal done.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:19 AM

True... but not all problems are apparant when you purchase a truck. I noticed that my truck scratches way too easily and many other people do as well. This is due to the change from oil to water based paints, something you couldn't tell nor experience from your first drive of the truck. My previous vehicle was a Nissan Xterra, had that for 2 years and it was driven hard through Canadian winters, across the rockies, hit by rocks from the highway, 4x4ing.. and there was 1 rock hole in the paint work. ZERO scratches, zero problems.

I've had my Tundra for about 7 months, currently have a sunken dash (where it's come away from the A piller and squeeking like a rabid mouse), drivers side door mirror that, in the dark shows an internal reflection of headlights (and that's my second one as it's already been replaced), a couple of the protective boots on the steering rack were torn (during build apparently), the design of the electrical connector for the tow hitch (being at its lowest point) means if you do any sort of 4x4 or rough track work then that's the first to go and it's a 200+ replacement (dodge and ford have it integrated into the hitch), battery has failed on me twice, drivers side door wasn't straight... The biggest and most annoying problem though is the paint. ANYTHING touches it, it scratches, my keys ONCE touched by the tailgate, and scratched the paint... I've got several scratches (some down to the white primer) from people simply walking past it in the shopping car park and several big rock scratches on the front (even though I haven't done ANY serious winter highway this year)

Don't get me wrong.. I love the truck, it's my first pickup having had Nissan Xterra, BMW X5s, Grand Jeep Cherokee's before, with my upgraded wheels (Toyo MT 33's on Ballistic Wizards) and levelled, on the 3ft of snow we've had here, it's a dream... 4 wheel drive is strong, 2 wheel is extremely capable.. but I'm wondering if the problems I'm having are due to the truck being built in the US, and we all know what happens when trucks and cars are built in the US.. they fall apart.

My Truck

Old 12-31-2008, 02:40 PM

curious about the paint problems with the Tundra, one owner says the paint was APPLIED haphazardly but he didn't notice it prior to the purchase nor did he notice a door that wasn't straight.One says his scratches easily which seems to be his major complaint.

The other made no comments about his paint other than it has a good topcoat.

My paint (07 Tundra)was applied correctly butthe topcoat does show scratches easily, but thenso did the F150 that I traded in. Both are dark colors which seems to make a difference.
The electrical trailerhookups are in the same place as the F150 (04) and the F250 (00)that I previously owned. A different location or design would be great.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:34 PM

I have owned all too many vehicles with a metallic paint job and will NEVER buy anything that is metallic again. My color choices are now limited to Red, black, or white, and because I live in the Midwest we get Acid rain that pits the white paint, therefore I have a Black truck, a two tone black and grey truck, and an 08 Acura TL type S with metallic paint that is showing wear ALREADY. I love the paint job on the 92 chevy but it is a two tone so the black on the top and bottom looks great but the metallic grey in the middle is starting to bubble in one spot.

It would be interesting to see how many of these people complaining have a metallic paint job. My dads boss has an 08 tundra crewmax with a flat red paint job and it is still in perfect condition