Toyota Tundra Discuss the Toyota Tundra here.

'94 Toyota 2WD Pickup - Poor College Student seeks advice from the best on the net

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Default '94 Toyota 2WD Pickup - Poor College Student seeks advice from the best on the net

This seems to be the smartest Toyota place on the web, so I figured someone here would be able to help. Most people I show this to have never seen it before.

I recently took my '94 toyota pickup in for a free winter checkup, I moved from Texas to Utah, and the cold has been making her sound funny. I had to get the alternator belt replaced on my way up here, but now a few months later the guy at the local auto place wants $850 to replace my entire harmonic balancer. Since it's an 'older' truck, the guy said it's going to cost about $550 just for parts. She runs, but I have some videos and pics below that show what the real problem is.

Name:  CIMG5906.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  65.5 KB

http://www.youtube.com/user/Orientee.../0/qSCZ-X6DKEo
Here's what it looks like when it's running, you can see that the belt is sliding around.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Orientee.../1/5frDAfdIOJE
This is a view from underneath, you can see that it's easily moved by hand.
I inherited this truck from my grandpa (rest in peace) and so I'm afraid I don't know much about it. If anyone could tell me anything about what is involved here, I would appreciate it. I plan on calling around to local auto places, probably Japanese Auto shops, to try and get a price I can afford. I simply don't have the $850 to fix it right now.

Once again, I'm sorry for being so ignorant, and I would appreciate any comments from anyone. Feel free to call me noob or make fun as much as you'd like

Also, I don't have any tools with me here at college.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Well, first off... Thanks for buttering us up

On a different note, I'm not sure how to answer that as I don't know much about Toyotas or that particular engine, but someone around here is sure to know..

No one is going to make fun of you hahahhaha, we are an accepting bunch and you obviously know how to pop the hood... which is a great start!

Welcome to the forum by the way!