Toyota Tundra Discuss the Toyota Tundra here.

gear shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:50 AM
DJ
Default gear shift

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]when i shift gears there's aclicking under the boot. i don't know if this has anything to do with it, but the clutch pedal is squeeking, too. the clutch was replaced 1 1/2 years ago. any ideas?

Old 03-25-2008, 06:13 AM
Default RE: gear shift

If I remember correctly, there is a plastic ring that sits above the pivot ball section of the stick just below a large c- clip that holds the stick in the tranny. You didn't mention the age/milage of your truck but this is not difficult to inspect yourself. On my 2000 I would: 1-remove the screws at the plastic base of the outer boot and lift up and out of the way. No need to pull over shift ****. 2-Lift the bottom bellow of the Black rubber boot and remove screws at it base (if any) and lift to expose where stick goes into tranny. There may even be a small black rubber dust boot that will just lift up and slide up the shifter. From here you can move stick left/right up/down to see if cause of clicking becomes obvious. If not obvious and your mechanical skill is telling you not to go farther then trust your judgement and let a shop look at it. If you want to proceed, you should be able to see the large c-clip that sits atop a white plastic ring. Removing the c-clip will allow the stick and the white plastic ring to lift out of the tranny. Pay attention to its direction (it may not matter, but if it does, you want to put it back the right way). If damaged, replace and use a flash light to peek down the hole where the stick came out for any thing that looks out of place or worn, etc. replace as needed. put everything back in the reverse order. When you get the C-clip back in, go through the gears with the engine off. Should be able to do all 5 plus reverse with no hang-ups. Push/pull/check to make sure stick WILL NOT pop out while driving. If all is well, test drive. If all is well, replace black rubber heat boot, and interior trim boot and you're done.

My answer is based from memory, I apologize in advance if I left something out. Lamont

Old 03-25-2008, 06:37 AM

Oh, and my clutch pedal squeeks too. Mine sounds like pedal spring under the dash creeking, now that the weather is warming, I'll try to track mine down and will post my success or failure. Will be back home on April 7, look for reply post on the 8th. L

Old 04-08-2008, 02:14 PM

The creek I would hear was comming from the "fork" the throw out bearing rides on. A little grease where the end of the fork meets the clutch slave and my creeking noise went away.