Toyota Tundra Discuss the Toyota Tundra here.

tundra power

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Default RE: tundra power

ORIGINAL: JohnAdamsR

the Chevy Silverado 2500HD with the Duramax Diesel and Allison tranny is the most powerful diesel truck on the market today. Its been proven, just look in any diesel mag for comparisons. If you simply put a chip in that truck it will blow away ANY other truck on the road, and still get better gas mileage. Plus, diesel engines last forever. Most can easily go 300,000. There is definitely no gas truck that will out tow it either. Diesel will always be better than a gas truck.
Was at the salon today waiting for my wife and kids to get their hair cut and stumbled across the new Popular Mechanics magazine with a comparison of GM, Ford and Dodges diesels and wasn't too impressed! The GM was by far the best, but still only puts up moddest numbers for acceleration. I would get bored driving a truck that takes 8.85 seconds 0-60 and tops a quarter in 16.5 sec. Ya, I know you can mod, but can't we all!! Anyway the GM topped the mpg battle also at 18.2, and while towing 9100lbs got 10, not real good considering diesel is 50 cents a gallon more. Hard to justify a diesel to me unless your using it for contractor work and will put 300,000 miles on it. By the way, the new Ford 6.4 is a joke, lol!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:20 PM

I pull a 5500# travel trailer with an 2000 model old style Chevy 3/4 ton, 350 engine (255hp) 4l80E transmission, 3.73 differential.

Do you think the 2006 or 2007 Tundra withthe 4.7 liter engine could pull this trailer withadequate power. I also need best gas mileage possible as this will be my only vehicle.
Thanks,

Old 02-03-2008, 01:26 PM

Why are there so many Chevy owners trolling the Toyota forums? Do they feel the need to justify their choice and try to knock the king offits throne?

The new Tundra is truck of the year for a reason. It's a great 1/2 ton truck.

I say this having traded in a 2005 Ford F250 diesel. It was a great truck also but I didn't need to tow 12,000 lbs. Plus the extra $.50 a gallon for diesel was getting old.

If you have a Chevy, Ford, Dodge or whatever and you think your truck is better, that's great. Enjoy your ride. To each their own.

Back to the question: The 5.7 is by far the quickest truck I've ever driven, it rivals a muscle car in terms of accelleration. I tow a boat weighing 7000 lbs. and the truck handles it very well, plenty of power and more importantly, it can stop it with confidence.

Just my 2 cents.....

Old 10-03-2008, 05:14 PM

I guess I would tend to throw a question back at the original poster - Are you wanting the fastest stock truck on the market or the truck with the most potential to be made fast? In other words, what is your end goal?

This thread turned into a "who's better" and I don't think his question is getting answered.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:31 PM

DamnYankee I think you were a little late on this one.

Anyways, to continue this conversation, a friend of mine just bought an 08 Tundra crew cab loaded to the T and with the 5.7. I thought it was an awesome truck and a good second to GMC. He was happy with it and I loved riding in it because the ride was smooth and it was fun to drive. Basically it did everything great that you would expect out of a CAR.

As soon as the first freeze hit and the snow fell, he went and put new tires on it because with 8,000 miles it was slipping more than a trans am. IN 4WD!!! He got the new tires and it still sucked. He sold it last week.

He went and bought a GMC Crew cab and it was almost like he was releived to be driving a real truck again. All I know is I accept the Toyota in the trucking world because it will outperform any other halfton UNLOADED and on DRY GROUND, but I'll always be a GM guy.

I will add that consumerreports is EXTREMELY biased towards the imports and former imports and at my dads work they have a 2004 Chevy 2500 with a bone stock duramax that just turned 450,000 miles. Still running strong.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:21 PM

I looked all over for the expiration date and didn't see one, so I posted.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:33 AM

Its at the top above the name on each post. I like to talk about the tundra and the controversy it causes, it is the American way after all

Old 12-22-2008, 05:09 PM

If power is what you want, all of the big 3 plus Toyota or Nissan will deliver. When is the last time you saw two trucks towing a trailer or camper get into a drag race ? Compare apples to apples, 1/2 tons to 1/2 tons. If you have to buy a whole list of add-ons to make the truck perform, then look at a different make.
Each has its strong points.
The dealership that takes care of its customers is a big plus.
Will it be in business next year?

I have owned all of the above makes except Nissan so I can't judge it but the Toyota Tundra is aspowerful as any of them in stock form and it is extremely quiet. if past performance is anything then it will prove to be very reliable. None are slouches but compare them all and choose the one that means your needs.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:11 PM

Does anyone have a 5.7 Toyota that you have installed true dual exhausts on?

Since it has two catalytic converters it should be available but the dealer does not have a kit and I do not want to void the warranty. Actual space under the truck looks very confined.
Any thoughts?

Old 01-01-2009, 09:10 AM

How is this for an observation, some tell how great their truck is and then post a list of all the add-ons. If it was so great in the first placewhy did they have to spend so much for add-ons?

Chevy owners love to brag on the Duramax, a truck with a Jap designed engine and a transmission from a third party -Allison. What is left that is actually GM?

Quick Reply: tundra power