Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers side wheel speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Default Drivers side wheel speed sensor

Driving down this road this morning and all of a sudden, "ding,ding,ding,ding", so i said to myself, self, WTF. Looked down and noticed the ABS light had just came on, hmmmmmmm. Drove to the local GM dealership, where a friend of mine works and i have had alot of work done by them over the past 25 yrs. My friend came out with the Tech2 OBD, read the code, "left side wheel speed sensor". It actually had 3individual codes but all 3 were to do with the "wheel speed sensor". I checked with where i bought the truck, mind you, they are NOT a GM dealership. I asked for a quote, well,them not being a GM dealership, could only get the complete hub assy, which includes the wheel speed sensor with harness, hub, and wheel bearing. They quoted me $335.00 installed. The GM dealer called me back with their estimate, and evidentally, they are able to get "just" the Wheel speed sensor and harness, so they quoted me $215.00 installed. Sound right to you guys? They said its not a safety issue, i just won't have ABS until its fixed, no biggie.... I have an appointment for this coming Monday anyways. The truck is an '03 Silverado. I have had the truck for almost a year, it has 70,000 miles on it, and its the first work being done to it, since i have owned it. Guess i can't complain huh? Are wheel speed sensors a pretty common thing on these trucks? I heard them say, it builds up rust around the sensor. Is there any preventative maintenance that can be done so this don't keep happening? Thanx, Jim

Old 01-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Default RE: Drivers side wheel speed sensor

I think theres a recall on the ABS sensor Mine has to go back but its some kind of cleaning needed anyone?

Old 01-11-2008, 01:59 PM

Not sure, would be nice............. I'll call em to find out tho, thanx, Jim

Old 01-11-2008, 06:49 PM

No recalls on the '03......... Now its making a funny noise when i turn to the right, like a thumping noise, figured where theres pressure on the left outside wheel. Does anyone know where the sensor is located, or i should say the harness? I'd like to see if theres a wire thats broken or corroded etc..... Thanx, Jim

Old 01-12-2008, 05:34 AM

sensors are usually pulled loose from offroading...the plug to check continuity is by the top of the shock.
the dealership is ALWAYS much more,right guys?lol

Old 01-12-2008, 10:03 AM

I jacked the front drivers side wheel up, to check and see if it was the wheel bearing or just the sensor, well, needless to say, the wheel has about 1/2" of play, when i grabbed it @ 6 and 12, and checked it. I jacked up the other side and checked it as well and that 1 was fine, no play @ all. Looks like i'm replacing the whole 9 yards, which comes as 1 unit luckily i guess. $350.00 for the complete unit (Hub,bearing and sensor w/ harness). Thats from a dealership. The dealer said the bearings may or may not have a warranty from the manufacturer, but that he'd checkinto it for me. Oh and Argon, my truck don't see off roading.... When i was younger, i had my fill of 4X4ing with my Jeep CJ's, been there,done that, was expensive back then, and is expensive nowadays. Is 70,000 miles good for the life of a wheel bearing? I don't know what the prior owner did, i've only put about 9,000 miles on it myself. It looks like the prior owner may have done some wheelin', as it has a few small dings and dents, if i recall, it was muddy underneath it when i bought it, and it had a bunch of fine scratches along the sides that looked like branches/vines etc, so he may have been four wheeling with it, but overall, the truck ran fine and was in great condition. Monday morning, i'll drop er off to get fixed............... [sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 01-13-2008, 11:18 AM

we see em thAt soon..but not commonly

Old 01-13-2008, 12:20 PM

I guess i'm sorta baffled. I'm not sure if it would be the WSS or if the WSS would be getting a false reading because of the bad wheel bearing. As i said, the wheel bearing is shot, wheel moves about 1/2" when holding wheel @ 6 & 12, and moving. Will see after 2morrow, as its goin in the shop. I realize the whole assy includes the WSS, but what if the WSS is ok, like i said, just getting a false signal BC of the WB. It will be fixed after 2morrow anyways, thanx Argon, Jim

Old 01-15-2008, 05:21 PM

The WSS is like a reflector and inside the hub there are teeth that it gets it signal from so that being said since your WB is bad it could have broke off some of the teeth and that is why you are getting the bad readings form the WSS and thats why your ABS light would come on

Old 11-21-2011, 12:16 PM

what should i use to clean the speed sensors?