Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

02 Chevy Silverado, Jerking/bucking, high idle an cluster went haywire

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Exclamation 02 Chevy Silverado, Jerking/bucking, high idle an cluster went haywire

about a week ago my truck start it acting up like around 40-50mph it would jerk/buck like it was running outta gas, So i changed the fuel filter. It did the same thing, Threw some fuel injector cleaner, still same thing, It went away for a few days an now its back to stay, Next thing i did was got the codes read an they were comming on for knock sensor, throttle posion sensor an 5 volt ref, i at this point i belived it was the tps, i changed that reset the battery and it did the same thing, next day i go to start it and the low fuel light, battery securty, and air bag lights are on, temp gage and fuel gage are not working either, an securty light stays on soild all the time with or without the key drs open or closeed, i went to get the code read again and now it dont even respond to my truck???? an truck still acts up, act like it starts out in 2nd shifts to 3rd and it wont go in overdrive, i cant figger this out, but read some stuff around internet and it could be anything from a ignition switch or something around there that shorts out an cause trans to act up??? also my cruse control hasent worked either, any help please its really got my stubled! thanks!

Old 11-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Default 02 Chevy

I also have an 02 Chevy. The only thing I can recommend is to unplug the computer from the harness and replug. Sometimes it's just a sticky connection. The computer is directly behind the panel below the steering wheel. There should be 3 color coded connectors. Also disconnect your battery for a few minutes, sometimes that will fix things.
After you get it running again, follow up on the trouble codes, each one at a time. Good luck

Old 11-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Smile

i did try that, did the same thing, so next i removed the computer an found a little water in it, so i let it dry out an cleaned it up and taa daa every problem went away! thanks for the help man, it was such a relef to get this thing back to normal.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:39 PM
TruckForum Addict

How did water get in the PCM? Did you offroad/drive through water or something? usually water doesn't get into PCMs.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:20 PM

I would bet on the ignition switch. Test the voltake at fuses on driver side fuse panel key on. Check the trans fuse with a test light key on. If no voltage at fuse trans will default to 2nd gear start. Check when problem is happening. Also seen that fuse panel go bad as well.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by NullHead
How did water get in the PCM? Did you offroad/drive through water or something? usually water doesn't get into PCMs.
well when i bought the truck the driver side inner fender was missing and i was going to get one but been putting it off, so yaa i took it offroad a few times and come to find out the pcm is right where the inner fender is missing soo, but still i didnt go in deep water or anything just a few baby mud holes, there still should have been noway it got in there... but it is what it is.. these damn new trucks!