Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

1996 GMC starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Default 1996 GMC starting problems

My 1996 GMC 1500 with 160,000 miles is not wanting to start. The electric fuel pump is functioning with good pressure at the fuel rail. The engine just cranks but no fire. When I stop cranking it chortles/pops and tries to make a couple of turns backwards. After multiple attempts it does eventually start (a warmer day seems to help) and once it has started it drives, stops and restarts completely normally. I recently changed the intake manifold because the coolant ports were badly corroded. Any thoughts on causes would be appreciated.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Beginner

I was having hard starts the last 2 weeks first thing in the morning and once it ran for a few seconds it was fine. Today I was towed home and started tinkering with it. The fuel pump starts up and shuts off right away and when I checked the pressure it was fine. I poured some gas into the air intake on the manifold and it started up and ran for a few seconds. I know that I have spark and getting fuel up to the manifold, but my injectors aren't opening. I have checked all my fuses and all are good, so I have to believe it's the spider injector.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by luvthatsound40
I was having hard starts the last 2 weeks first thing in the morning and once it ran for a few seconds it was fine. Today I was towed home and started tinkering with it. The fuel pump starts up and shuts off right away and when I checked the pressure it was fine. I poured some gas into the air intake on the manifold and it started up and ran for a few seconds. I know that I have spark and getting fuel up to the manifold, but my injectors aren't opening. I have checked all my fuses and all are good, so I have to believe it's the spider injector.
I agree. I have had to replace a few.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Beginner

Anything I need to watch out for when I replace mine? I have the 350 engine. What does the spider injector cost new?

Old 05-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

There is an updated version out now that I have heard good things about, but have never installed one myself. It is a very straight forward installation. Like anything, take your time and if you have a digital camera take a few close-up of how everything goes to refer back to. If you get hung up we are here to help out. Also if you haven't already I would highly suggest going ahead and putting new lower intake gaskets. They are very prone to fail and leak coolant. The newer Fel-Pro's are SO much better designed. Let us know how it comes out.
Oh as far as price I think the older version is a little over $300 and the newer one is a little over $400.