Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2 Great Add Ons for Base Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Default 2 Great Add Ons for Base Silverado

I bought my new 07 Silverado with the work tuck package. My goal was to buy a good basic truck with an extended cab, automatic, with a small v8 and a tow kit. I wanted to keep the price under 20K. Mission accomplished!!! My next task was to add some missing features that I wanted. The first was remote door locks. I had an AudioVox Prestiege alarm installed which includes remote door activators for a total cost of $215 including parts and labor. The second challenge was to upgrade the basic radio. After much research, I added an iRiver AT100 FM transmitter that plugs into the extra 12 volt plug on the dash. It allows me to play an mp3 player thru the radio. It works great and gives over 100 hours of music or audio books. Total cost $37.00. I now have nearly all the features I want at a bargain price. I love the basic truck configuration with vinyl carpet and comfortable 40/20/40 seating. I wanted a truck - not a car. I would appreciate anyone else sharing their add on ideas. Thanks Guys

Old 04-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Default RE: 2 Great Add Ons for Base Silverado

I'm picking up an 06 this weekend and I had the exact same dilemas.
Stereo I have tacken care of already- a Sportscaster XM receiver. $50 at best buy plus 10-13 a month subscription.
I would like to use OEM parts for the door locks, but I haven't researched anything yet.
-G

Old 04-26-2007, 12:11 AM

I had the adiovox prestige alarm a long time a go and it worked very well for a realtivly inexpensive system. Plus you get most of the great features for a lot less than the vipers and such. Congrats on the new truck, you may want to consider upgrading your stock speakers too. don't get an amp or anything, just upgrade to some low watt speakers with a woofer/tweeter combo. they'll run you about 100 bucks for good sound running off of the stock head unit.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:59 AM

I thoght about replacing the stock speakers but I am concerned about how difficult it would be to get to them. I guess that I would need to figure out how to remove the door panels. Are the rear speakers in the door? Any suggestions on which speakers tp buy and where? Thanks

Old 04-26-2007, 03:17 PM

I have always been a fan of alpine and infinity. you can get them at best buy or circut city but I would shop around and check out over stock.com too. as far as install it is pretty easy to get to them. I sure some one on this forum has replaced theirs and can give us some insight. I haven't done the ones on this truck yet but It is most likely held on with clips.