Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2002 Silverado New Fuel Pump hesitates

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Default 2002 Silverado New Fuel Pump hesitates

I put a new fuel pump in after the truck quit on the highway. It corrected the problem and truck runs now, but now the truck doesn't want to start up right away. It takes about 2 or 3 tries to start it, and it doesn't matter how long you crank it on the 1st start, it still will not start till the 2nd or 3rd try. Even if i cycle the ignition and fuel pump a few times to build up pressure, it still will not start till the 2nd or 3rd try. Once the truck starts up, it runs fine. I'm wondering if the budget fuel pump i bought from Checker Auto is not up to par. Anyone have ideas?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I think your right. I have heard a lot of horror stories with aftermarket pumps. A friend of mine put in 3 in less than 1 year. I know the Delphi pumps are more money, but dropping that tank or removing the bed is not fun! Let us know what you find.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:22 PM

so i take it the symptoms are worthy of taking it all back apart and puting a better pump in? Are there any other things i could check before i dive back into gas tank bench pressing?

Old 08-24-2010, 01:00 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Get a fuel pressure gauge on there to see for sure it is fuel related. Hate for you to take apart all that for nothing.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:47 AM

Don't only get a pressure reading but let it sit with the gauge on it after shutting it down. My guess is you will probably get the proper pressure (since it does eventually start and runs fine) but I think it will probably leak down to zero fairly quickly once shut down. It should hold to a certain PSI. I can get the spec for you if needed.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:53 PM

thanks guys. i took the cover off of the motor to get to the fuel rail. the cross over gas line that comes from the fuel pressure regulator has the valve on it. i turned the ignition on to prime the line and sounds like the fuel pump activates like it should. about 3 seconds or so. without starting it, i just poked the valve with a small screwdriver to see if it had some pressure. the gas just sort of dribbled out about a tablespoon of gas. i was expecting something more substantial. so i tried it one more time with the ignition prime. same thing. i'm not sure how the truck is starting with that little bit of pressure. anyway, i went ahead and started it and left it running. i poked the valve and the gas shot out like it should with lots of pressure. is the high pressure while the truck is running coming from the pump doing its job finally, or from the motors vacuum? i'm also wondering if that fuel pressure regulator might be the culprit.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:31 PM

Pull the vacuum line off the regulator and see if gas drips out. If it does it's bad. You really need to put a gauge on there, but if it just drips out than you know you have a pressure issue.