Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2011 Silverado Z71 (3 weeks old!) shifting hard

Old 09-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Default 2011 Silverado Z71 (3 weeks old!) shifting hard

Has anyone with a 2011 Silverado with the 5.3 and 6-speed auto noticed a hard shifting between first and second gears? Seems when I am turning at slow speeds then get back on the accelerator after the turn it will take a second and then jump into 2nd and take off. Also feels like it is slow in down shifting when I slow down to a stop. Feels like the trans stays in 2nd too long and is pushing the truck then it down shifts into first kind of hard. Has anyone else noticed these types of things from their 2011? I just bought it new about 2.5 weeks ago and am wondering if its just me not being use to the truck yet and this being a common thing with them or if something is wrong. Thanks gang! I have about 500 miles on my truck if that matters. Thanks again

Jared

Old 09-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Beginner

My dad had the same problems with his 2011 Silverado 5.3, also it was extremely unresponsive when taking off from a stop and worst of all whenever you were driving his truck with a trailer it would downshift 2 or 3 gears to go up a hill then continue to rev high and not upshift until half way down the other side of the hill even if you took your foot right off the accelerator. Took it to the dealership and they kept saying there was nothing wrong with it so he took a mechanic out in it and they realized that the truck worked normal when they had the scanner plugged in but went back to working like **** when the scanner was unplugged. So far they have replaced the ECM, when that didn't work they cleaned all the grounds from front to back, and when that also didn't work they tore the transmission apart and noticed some valves were opening and closing at the wrong time so they replaced them. It works better now but still not as good as we think it should, the dealership is still trying to think of what to look into next.

Last edited by Amac30; 09-27-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Amac30
My dad had the same problems with his 2011 Silverado 5.3, also it was extremely unresponsive when taking off from a stop and worst of all whenever you were driving his truck with a trailer it would downshift 2 or 3 gears to go up a hill then continue to rev high and not upshift until half way down the other side of the hill even if you took your foot right off the accelerator. Took it to the dealership and they kept saying there was nothing wrong with it so he took a mechanic out in it and they realized that the truck worked normal when they had the scanner plugged in but went back to working like **** when the scanner was unplugged. So far they have replaced the ECM, when that didn't work they tore the transmission apart and noticed some valves were opening and closing at the wrong time so they replaced them. It works better now but still not as good as we think it should, the dealership is still trying to think of what to look into next.
Oh goody.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Beginner

All the work has been done under warranty the biggest issue was finding someone to listen, instead of just saying "the scanner says nothing is wrong, so it must be your driving.." Now they feel like idiots for not listening in the first place.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Amac30
All the work has been done under warranty the biggest issue was finding someone to listen, instead of just saying "the scanner says nothing is wrong, so it must be your driving.." Now they feel like idiots for not listening in the first place.
Yeah I don't expect to be out any $$. Just time and hassle I guess.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:20 PM

My 2010 4.8 shifts hard coming out of 1st too. I'm going Friday to have it custom tuned, hopefully, along with more power and MPG, it'll shift a lot smoother; that's what I've been told. With a 2011 you may not want to have a tune done just yet, or maybe. I will post after it's tuned and let you know if it smooths out.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:54 AM

I did notice some hesitation in shifting when I first got mine in March of this year. I now have 11,000 miles on it and don't notice a thing. I do notice the engine does not run as good when using E85 gas, but that's about it. I would give it a few thousand miles and see if things don't iron out on their own.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by 11Sierra
I did notice some hesitation in shifting when I first got mine in March of this year. I now have 11,000 miles on it and don't notice a thing. I do notice the engine does not run as good when using E85 gas, but that's about it. I would give it a few thousand miles and see if things don't iron out on their own.
Yeah I work with a guy who has a 2010 truck just like mine with the 6 speed auto and then another buddy with the 6 speed auto in a 2011 tahoe and they both said it was doing the same thing when they got it but it ironed out after a while like you said. I know this is a "learning" transmission and is supposed to learn your driving style and change the shift points accordingly so maybe it will all straighten out. Thanks for the reply!