Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Default hard shifting

My trans seems to shift hard at low acceleration, and smoother the harder the acceleration. I'm also thinking that the computer may be adpating to my driving habits including the shifting as what I would consider a medium take off as I most alsway do, seems to shift like a dream. Even though, there are still those time it feels like a shift kit almost. Anyone experience symptoms like thses? Or how about any noise in the drive line? I drovebrand new06 Duramax, bad as hell by the way, and it was really rough on the low speed acceleration, but that's a whole different truck. I'm just a half ton truck, not expecting that kind of shifting, but wondering if this is something Chevy has programmed.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Default RE: hard shifting

Is your truck throwing any codes or doing any thing else unusual? The service manual for the 4L60E lists possible problems for harsh shifts as[/align]Throttle position sensor[/align]Vehicle speed sensor[/align]Pressure switch assembly[/align]Trans fluid temp sensor[/align]Engine coolant temp sensor[/align]and Pressure control solenoid[/align]This should at least give you some things to check out, even though it is nice to have the harder shifting it is probably not right. GM makes these trannys to shift soft because most people want their trucks to drive more like cars, but if you are happy with the way it drives and it is not causing any other problems I would drive it untill it throws a code and the problem presents itself. Hope this helps, keep us posted.[/align]

Old 12-22-2006, 08:59 PM

I AGREE. USUALLY THE HARDER THE SHIFT THE FASTER THE CLUTCH HAS DISENGAGED. THIS IS ACTUALY BETTER FOR THE LONGEVITY OF THE TRANNY.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:58 AM

thats a nice lookin truck!

Old 12-23-2006, 05:14 AM

Name:  newtruck.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  10.8 KB
Name:  dtruck1.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  8.9 KB
mine shifts hard too, when it shifts to second it shifts hard and i can feel all the other gear shifting dead on, ,, i checked the trans fliued , it smells used but not to brown still red, but definitly old,,im gonna be doing a fluied and filter change so, ill be looking to see if the previous owner dint install a shift kit,,,any way keep us informed if any changes happing to your trans,,, i hope mine is not going out, i just got this truck, i need it to last a lil while,,

Old 12-23-2006, 05:24 AM

hello! folks im new here and wanted to comment on this topic, familyer with chevy, irecently got a 91 silverado truck, 350 5.7
anyway i notice it shifts hard into second and dead on and firmthrew all the gears no prob, but it just seems as if it would be noticeable on the outside while im driving, ill take off and that first actual shift is hard like its setup for life,,i checked my fluied and its a lil brown and has a faint burnt smell, i will be doing a fluied and filter change soon, and i will look too see if the prevous owner had a shift kit put in, i got a good deal on this truck and i want it to last a while,, im hoping my transmission is not going out!
could the person who started this post please keep me personaly informed if any changes happen thank you!

Old 12-23-2006, 03:55 PM

WELCOME PAL,
IT DOES SOUND LIKE THERE IS A SHIFT KIT OR SOMETHING SIMILAR. I WOULD DEFINITLY DO A FLUSH AND LOOKING TO SEE IF THERE IS A SHIFT KIT IS NOT TO HARD. GOOD LUCK, AND TALK TO YOU SOON