Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

4 wheel drive problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Default 4 wheel drive problem

Hey, new to the site and I need some help. Maybe someone here has been through this. I have an '01 1500HD. My transfer case went on me and I went without for a couple of years due to lack of funds. I finally broke down and bought a remanufactured case and had it put in. My mechanic gave me a heads up and I later confirmed it to be worse than he said. If I take off faster than a crawl or get into some deeper snow there is a harsh grinding that seems to come from my front-end. This also happens if I am in 4x4 and have to crank the wheels to the right or left - harsh grinding. Took it back to the mechanic to diagnose and fix. Don't think he did very much. He said he had someone on the ground watching and that when it did it the front driveshaft quit spinning - you have a defective case. Talked to the case company and they said that that is not a very good check at all and it doesn't sound case related. It does sound to come more from the front. Could my actuator not be kicking out and locking the front in all the way?? No one really wants to help me here. Mechanic got mad when the case company called him and the case company just wants to prove that it's not their deal. I spent $1,000 on the case, just put $1,000 new tires on and found out that I need to do new ball joints, pitman, idler arm and bracket and steering shock. Don't really have the money to take to a big dealership. Any suggestions where to look - anyone ever deal with the grinding and clunking in 4x4? When the tires are free to spin on ice or so forth, it doesn't do it. Just when I'm hooked-up good or turning.

Name:  IMGP1163.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  107.1 KB