Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

98 silverado wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Default 98 silverado wont start!

3 days ago i was getting ready for work, tried starting my truck with my remote starter and all it did was sputter, as if the battery was drained. got my girlfriends car and tried jumping it, didn't work, my neighbor came over with his truckand it still didnt start, BUT it charged my battery... it winds up, but it wont turn over, or even try to for that matter. it being winter and all, and this week its been in the low 10s-0s, i figured maybe some moisture got in my distributor, or maybe it's something as simple as my fuel lines being frozen. hell, i don't know, i just want my truck back... i havent taken it anywhere because i can't move it, and i dont know any mechanics. need help on how to check and/or fix this... ANY IDEAS?

[/align]

Old 01-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Default RE: 98 silverado wont start!

Walz, there are probably dozens of things to check in order to eliminate the things that DO work.

When you say it won't turn over, that tells us that the engine won't turn. Hit your remote starter while watching the fan on the front of the engine. If you hear the starter motor spinning (a sound more like an electric drill but bigger) but the fan doesn't spin, then the engine isn't turning over and it's probably a dead battery. Even though you jumped it, it doesn't mean it's got enough juice to engage the starter. If the fan/engine DOES turn, then the problem is either FUEL or IGNITION.

If the fan/engine is not turning over, take your battery to Autozone or WalMart or Pep Boys or whoever you have close to you and have them test it.

Make sure you have GAS IN THE TANK - it's sounds stupid, but I've done it.

Start there. I know you're frustrated man, mine's dead right now, too.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:24 PM

dmccartyfan- hey thanks alot man i'll check that out...

[/align]

Old 01-19-2009, 11:04 PM

Hey just a reflection on recent experience - Autozone misdiagnosed my dead battery where Walmart confirmed the problem. They cost me 3 days of trying to check all the other problems. Just my personal experience. Eff Autozone.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:50 PM
TruckForum Addict

Tom,
Man you must have made an enemy at Autozone...lol Autozone is normally the only autoparts store that can figure out what my problem is and make a suggestion. The other not naming any autoparts store: Orielleys, Pep Boys, Advance Auto and others, just look at me like what are you talking about and I have know idea, but "We gotsuch and suchon sale..."

Old 01-20-2009, 02:16 PM

If the motor is turning over, check the spark by pulling a plug and holding it up agenst a grounded surface while hooked up to the wire, be aware, if your are touching the metal part of the plug and are grounded, you will get shocked. It hurts, take my advice. When you are holding the plug have somebody turn it over, if you see a spark, stop turning it over. If you don't then it is electrical, not fuel. If you have a fuel problem, make sure that the fuel pump is coming on, you should be able to hear that familiare sound that comes on when you turn on the ignition, if the ignition is just turned on and you don't hear that humming sound from right behind the cab, then you have a bad fuel pump. But not nessisarily a replacement is needed, take it to a shop or garage and heatthe whole truckup. (Above 50*F for at least a day) Then try and see if the fuel pump will come on then. If it still doesn't come on then the fuel pump is bad. If the pump comes on and you have spark, then go and heat up the truck as stated above, and see if that will unfreeze the lines. After it is warm, see if it will fire up. I also recommend getting your battery tested like said above in this thread, and putting fuel anti-freeze in the tank. So once the truck is warm it will get to the engine and injecters.

Well if that doesn't work you may have to test the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. That is a little more complicated and has been talked about in this forum.

Well good luck getting it unfrozen!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:09 PM

thanks all for the replies... went out and bought a new battery, spark plugs, wires,and a distributor cap... runs like a champ now... turns out, my battery WAS drained and one of my wires was cracked right above my old plug and was arking to the manifold... surge of power screwed up the old cap...

Old 01-26-2009, 07:55 PM

Hey walz, that's great news. So $150 or so and you're all set. Congrats[sm=smiley32.gif]