Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Antifreeze Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:01 AM
Beginner
Default Antifreeze Leak

Hey all, the other day my truck was up on the lift getting true duels put on and i noticed some antifreeze dripping on the floor. Also i had had to refill my overflow container a month or so because it was empty. After snooping around i found that it is practically running out between the engine block and the water pump housing. I think it is a copper gasket?? Is this a common chevy thing? or did i just get unlucky? I'm hoping i can just get up in there and find that the bolts have come a little loose and not have to replace the whole gasket[:@] Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 10-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Default RE: Antifreeze Leak

If you still have the stock gm dex cool I can just about guarantee the gasket is shot. That dex cool is pure ****. The first thing I do now when I get a gm vehicle is flush the dex cool **** out. Every single chevy truck I have bought went through both the intake gaskets and the water pump within 50,000 miles. After changing the intake gaskets and the water pump and filling the cooling system with regular green antifreeze these problems have never come back. I love gm products but that dex cool **** has to go. If I were you I would pressure check the cooling system, my bet is your water pump is shot after replacing it have you cooling systme flushed and filled with the green antifreeze and you should be good to go.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:25 PM

I second what "Adampgasser" says. I had an intake gasket leak on a truck I bought from my dad, 2002 GMC Sierra with 26K miles on it. Well $650 dollars later I went to a very reputable shop and had it truly "Flushed" not just a coolant exchange. This shop has been around since the early 70's and they were the only one in town that could perform a true "Flush". Oh by the way the gasket that was put on was the improved design, one with a metal body not that nylon/fiberglass reinforced stock one. So yes Iwould listen to "Adampgasseer", he knows what he is talking about!!!

Old 10-14-2008, 04:00 PM

Hey white_noise I found out mine was bad the second week I owned it. I was looking around for a bug deflector and liked the one the dealer had, wrapped around better, $10 cheaper and they installed it for free. When they lifted the hood thats when they smelt hot coolant. When they put it up in the air after adding dye to the crank case so they could use a black light to see the leak, they found that my oil pan was just wet all over, I saw it myself! Well then $265 later I had a new oil pan gasket! So check the whole underside of the engine, could save your butt later!

Old 10-14-2008, 06:13 PM

you might as well go ahead and count on new intake head and water pump gaskets. flushing dex cool is vital. it gets very corrosive if left in for too long.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:00 AM

why an intake gasket?..no water goes through it

Old 10-15-2008, 06:53 AM
Beginner

Alright, thanks for all the info!!

Old 10-18-2008, 12:38 AM

ya know argon i've never understood that either? thats just what ive been told... doesn't make much sense to me...

wait. you have to remove the intake to get the heads of to replace the head gaskets right? and you're supposed to replace the intake gasket every time you pull it off right? maybe not, but thats a possibililty i guess...