Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Any idea what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Default Any idea what to look for

I want to look at my truck and see if any major mods were done to it by the previous owner but im really not sure what i would be looking for. I was a diesel mechanic in the army for 8 yrs and im not stupid just dont have much experince with modifications on these kind of engines. If anyone has any good ideas on what i should be looking for I would really appreciate the input.

O-yeah its an 01 Z71 5.3 it does have a K&N air filter i can see that much

Old 09-04-2007, 11:12 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: Any idea what to look for

Most mods would be relatively obvious. The only stuff you couldn't see immediately are a throttle body spacer cause it's hidden by the engine cover and a cut open air box. You could see either with a flash light. That's about all I can think of.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:28 PM

Hey man thanks for the input. Ive had this truck since February and for what i paid for it i cant complain. I really havent even tried looking for anything yet, I only started getting intrested in it this week at work when the guys were buying stuff for theirs and talking about that they had or what they were going to do. One of the guys i work with just bought a 26 or 27 Ford T-bucket i know its a ford and not everyone is perfet and buys a chevy but ill tell you what that is an aewsome vehicle and its got a wheelie bar on it for a reason. LOL. Anyways ill take a close look under the hood and see what it has if anything and let yall know and if it doesnt have anything maybe i can get some suggestions on what i can do that wont cost this poor boy and arm and two legs.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:56 PM
TruckForum Addict

Hey, I like old Ferds too! A guy I know in my church has a 29' Ferd Coupe with a 454 + supercharger. He claims it is pushing 700hp to the wheels but I haven't seen a dyno sheet yet. That thing is wicked. It should be illegal to drive on the streets.

As for your truck, my recommendation is to start with the Ultimate Free Horsepower Mods List. You'll have to do a search for it or just scroll a few pages back on the board and you should find it. There is a lot you can do to these things to really wake em up! I am proud of mine for sure. Good luck, and hope we can be of some help to you along the way.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:08 AM

I was reading the free mods last night and saw some stuff on there that was interesting. Looked under the hood this morning and saw pretty much nothing. But o-well I think the first thing im going to get is a TBS then who knows where ill go from there. Well man thanks for the input. If something was done to the ECU or ECM whatever they call it would i be able to tell just by looking at it. Would there be some sort of sticker on it telling what was done etc...

Old 09-05-2007, 12:58 PM

I would look for the mods that you want to do and see if they have been done yet if they have not been done thendo them. That is what I would do!

Old 09-05-2007, 07:01 PM

comp mod will not be physically noticeable, no

Old 09-05-2007, 10:00 PM
TruckForum Addict

More than likely no one has messed with it. If I'm correct in my thinking, your under the impression that your truck seems faster than it should be. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that about my truck when I first got it. "Shouldn't be able to run a 1/4 second quicker (stock) than other full size trucks racing at the track with exhaust and whatever else they might have..." I kept wondering whether or not somebody had done some major engine internals or some crazy crap that I couldn't see, LOL!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:07 AM

yeah that is pretty much what im thinking. because it runs like a bat out of hell . Im just happy with it compared to my 95 z71 standard it is da bomb, but i do kinda miss my old truck because i could put that thing through anything and it would do it. I would take it treeing instead of mudding it was more fun going through brush then it was the mud LOL.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:09 AM

Im down here in south texas so no track for me to run. just plenty of opportunities for me to pull people out and to help unstick boat trailers that are high centered stuff like that. again im happy with what i have and for 336 a month for 30 months how can i go wrong.