Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Any underhood WIRING experts here?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Default Any underhood WIRING experts here?

1985 silverado 4x4 350ci Tried to start it and smoke curled up out of the hood byt wipers. Got a friend to look, tried again and the following wire was burning off the insulation: http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/o...G/P9200013.jpg

It was connected to the black junction on the firewall just above and slight right in the picture. It becomes two wires then goes into a loom.

1. What the heck is it?
2. Why did it keep burning without popping a fuse?
3. I have loose bolts inside the steering columne and the wheel flops all around but still steers. Sometime it wont start unless I move the wheel a bit---could their be a short in that due to it being so floppy?

Thanks anyone, its my work truck for tomorrow ( I hope!) mvonrenchler@yahoo.com

Old 09-20-2010, 10:45 AM

Based upon what you said....... I believe you have a bad/loose ground. Sometimes called a "soft ground" Your column has circuits like trunsignals. 4 ways, shift select/shift interlock , horn. All of which require a ground. Tighen your column, and recheck all body grounds.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Default Bad ground?

I have been suspecting a bad ground somewhere for a long time---when I turn on lights, heater fan, etc. the meter goes down between 10 and 8 and if I hit a turn blinker the meter kicks up and down. Ive triple checked the battery cables, I have two negative ground cables to engine and frame, starter connections, etc. Oddly, last month I changed the water pump and had to take off the alternator and its connecting plates. After re installing, it was perfect! meter was 13 and up and didnt go down under pull but that only lasted a week. Ive gone back through and checked all connections again but all are tight. Ive had to put a lot of alternators in this stupid thing, now that I think of it---could all this be becasue of the loose connections in the steering column? Ive got to pull the wheel to tighten that up and cant get it off after taking off the main nut.

Could the wire thats burning be a fuseable link?