Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C/K 1500 always blowing alternators..

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Unhappy C/K 1500 always blowing alternators..

I got a chevy c/k 1500 always blowing alternators... like left and right. theres a new batt in it ,so it wouldnt be that .. is there a possibility that theres a short some where? i think my brake lights dont work without having my light switch ON if its off the brake lights dont work...? other than that my truck shouldnt be blowing alternators...

Old 12-18-2011, 11:52 AM

anyone.....?

Old 12-18-2011, 01:00 PM
TruckForum Addict

What happened to the old battery? It would die every night?

I'm thinking that your alternators aren't dieing, more that your wiring is messed up. You should have a large wire off the back of the alternator running to one of a few places (if your truck is older; like mine): Above the coolant jug, or right to the positive battery terminal.

What year truck do you have?

Old 12-18-2011, 08:41 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I have a friend that bought a fairly new truck at auction that was announced as being struck by lightening and the dealer warranty would not be honored. It was a very low mileage 1 year old truck that was super clean so he bought it anyway. It would kill the battery every other day. He tried replacing the alternator and battery and it didn't help. The wiring all looked fine. According to the reords at the dealer it had been to a dealer in NC numerous times to try to figure it out and they basically gave up on it. He ended up selling the truck because he could never get it figured out.
Not saying this is the case with yours, but it kind of reminded me of this situation.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Beginner
Default alternator

Hi guimond47,

Take your truck to an alternator and starter shop. These people have seen most everthing that can go wrong with electrical components.
Nextly they will in most cases be alot less money than a dealer.

You need someone with equipment and knowledge of what blows them.

Something is making your alternators kill themselfs with high output, or
something is shorting them, causing them to burn up.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:21 AM

Hey guy its a 98 , and the batt was just fried after running off just the batt alone then dint wanna take a charge so it was warrenttied and the alternator shop found a fried component in the old alternator when it did the same thing. Is there a harness that conflicks the 4ways? Because his 4 ways dont work either

Old 12-19-2011, 05:21 PM
TruckForum Addict

As far as I know, there's really only two wire connections that these GM alternators need; a 12V+ that goes into the wiring harness that senses how much load the system has, and a large Batt+ wire that goes off to the positive battery terminal.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's much for there to go wrong, as far as wiring goes.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:38 AM

Yai might take a look. At it tonight or sum, like i said his rear lights dont work. Theres gotta be a short somewhere and plus blowing alternators isent normal.. Hes gttn it rebuild tonight again soo will go from there . Do u guys know how much current the computer is sapose to take from the batt with the truck off and then on?

Old 12-20-2011, 01:33 PM

You first need to correct the exterior lights. I suspect you are taxing the alternator output. The field windings are are sensing a required load and your alternator is full fielding probaly due to the lights issue, thus prematurly failing. Normal output with automotive alterntors is around 14.2V at full load. good luck, keep us posted.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:16 PM

Got the altornator fixed today says it was the rectifyer that blew.. Second time the rectifyer blows will look at the truck tomarrow will keep u guys posted thanks