Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Chevy trucks and Programmers

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 02:50 AM
Default Chevy trucks and Programmers

I just joined the forum and Im dying to juice up my 1997 Silverado 1500. I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a programmer from summit. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Crane Cam Power Tuner. Any one know of any problems this might cause or any reason I shouldn't get one? If I increase the performance will I need to start using a higher octane gas? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated before I spend $430.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:57 AM
Default RE: Chevy trucks and Programmers

The biggest drawback to any hand held programmer is that they do not remove torque management, once this is removed you will have your trucks full potential. There are several custom tuners out there that will give you a great custom tune besides myself you just need to decide if you want to add more mods later (others charge for updates) and know that with us if you decide to get another truck the $ you paid for your tune will go toward the tune for the new truck. Not alot of people know about the custom programming and say they love their hand helds but if you are looking for something better definitely go with a custom tune

Old 02-14-2007, 03:56 PM

Thanks alot I did not know that about the torque management. Ill keep my options open and make my best decision. Any draw backs to putting the high performance package on a truck with 200k miles? You wouldn't tell it if you looked at it or drove it. Just didn't want to go into this blind and put more power to it and bust a gasket or crack a head on an older engine.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:30 AM

Spending $430 on a hand held is rediculous!!!! Talk to hemikiller about the custom tune, I think with the truckforums discout it will be close to the same price, and ill guarentee ull get way more hp. The old motor depends on how it was drivin, but with that many miles, you might want to get everything checked out real good before you put a bunch of money in it.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:31 AM

Ok guys you caught my interest. How do I go about gettin this custom tune and what is this about a trucksforum discount? Like I said new to the site and I dont know the details. Fill me in on the info. If you say that 430 is rediculous for a hand held and you say I can get much more power for the same amount almost then Im all ears.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:09 AM

Our programming is safe for high mileage vehicles, chevy 1224 is right though if you are wanting to start racing the truck it might be a good idea to go though it first, if you already drive it hard and always have the tune will not cause problems.[/align][/align]As far as getting a tune from us you can pm me or call and we can go over the details of what you want for your truck. You can get a $75 discount until March 3rd by sending us your PCM for tuning by being a member of truckforums. You do not have to send us your PCM, this is just to receive the discount.[/align]

Old 02-15-2007, 08:07 PM
TruckForum Addict

PCMforless offers a tune for $250.