Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Common Chevy & GMC Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Beginner

99 and up with the 4.3, distributor cap gets corroded due to the AC pipe running right over it and condensation dripping onto the cap. This can be taken care of by a piece of foam tube insulation.
I have known several people who had to replace the fan resistor, on these models, I have to do mine. The two low fan speeds do not work.
Fuel Gauge sending unit. My gas gauge goes from full to empty, to a 1/2, to 1/4 etc. I use the trip odometer to tell me when I need gas.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Interesting stuff. I'll have to watch out for this in friends and club members trucks

Old 07-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Beginner

PLASTIC CLUTCH! PLASTIC CLUTCH! PLASTIC CLUTCH! PLASTIC CLUTCH! PLASTIC CLUTCH! PLASTIC CLUTCH! PLASTIC CLUTCH! PLASTIC CLUTCH! PLASTIC CLUTCH!

Mine is an '00 Silverado 1500 SWB regular cab with a 4.3 V6 and a manual transmission. I bought it in July '07 and have had to replace the clutch pedal assembly inside the cab at approximately 30,000 mile intervals. For the life of me I can not imagine an American company using plastic to make a clutch pedal assembly in a pickup truck! With no warning the pedal goes to the floor and stays there. The mounting plate which sandwiches the pedal assy./firewall/hydraulic clutch reservoir together fails at the point where it attaches to the interior face of the firewall, and this causes the reservoir to fall off the firewall in the engine compartment. Obviously this only occurs while changing gears in traffic and, if I'm lucky enough to be able to get out of traffic, I must pull off the roadway and call a wrecker because my truck has become un-driveable. Hopefully I'm not in heavy traffic and do not get injured or killed. Reminds me of the scenario involving the Chevrolet Corvair back in the 60's, which made Ralph Nader famous when he wrote his book, "Unsafe At Any Speed" whereby he declared that car a public safety hazard and ended up causing GM to stop producing that car.

Chevrolet/GMC should be made to re-engineer and replace these semi-Chinese products and make a lot of their owners feel safe again. But that only happens after a lot of court action and law suits. This is a major flaw in the design of my truck and will keep me from owning another Chevrolet because I can not be loyal to a brand which does not care about my safety. Also, I have to expect to spend in excess of $300.00 a year for as long as I own my truck in order to keep it on the road.

This is my first Chevrolet product and I am not at all impressed by it. But like a lot of other folks on this forum, I can't afford to make a change at this time.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by GM Customer Service
Razoo,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with the locks on your vehicle. Please know that I am here if you need any assistance.

Jennifer T,
GM Customer Care Service
where was you when I had my second motor went up in flames on my 12? or when my trans craped out in it?

just kidding I know GM is trying hard to keep up with dodge and trying like hell to keep ford's tail lights in view.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:23 AM
Default GM Customer Care

Originally Posted by GM Customer Service
Razoo,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with the locks on your vehicle. Please know that I am here if you need any assistance.

Jennifer T,
GM Customer Care Service
Hi Jennifer,
I noticed that you offered to help other Chevy truck owners, and I just figured that you would be kind enough to offer me help, too.

My '88 Chev K1500 had just over 71,000 miles on it, and the gear selection indicator has been nothing but trouble. I have fixed about everything you could think of on the truck, but that one silly little string and spring thing ya'll got going there is truly beneath you. I console myself by telling myself that it was designed at the end of the Regan era, and perhaps we were expected to place the truck in gear and the indicator would trickle down into place. However, it didn't work. I noticed another participant is having similar issues.

Did GM come out with an improvement for this part?
Thanks,
Steve

Old 08-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mukilteo
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks,
Steve
They did.
Now it's electronic. digital display

Old 08-20-2013, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mukilteo
Hi Jennifer,
I noticed that you offered to help other Chevy truck owners, and I just figured that you would be kind enough to offer me help, too.

My '88 Chev K1500 had just over 71,000 miles on it, and the gear selection indicator has been nothing but trouble. I have fixed about everything you could think of on the truck, but that one silly little string and spring thing ya'll got going there is truly beneath you. I console myself by telling myself that it was designed at the end of the Regan era, and perhaps we were expected to place the truck in gear and the indicator would trickle down into place. However, it didn't work. I noticed another participant is having similar issues.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve,

I would love to assist you. I cannot guarantee that I will find an answer to your question but I am willing to try. Private message me your VIN and I'll reach out to some of my internal resources.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Old 09-30-2015, 10:23 AM
Beginner
Old 04-10-2016, 02:14 PM
Beginner
Default 2002 Major underbody rust a common problem

I'm surprised that there has not been any mention of the major rust problems on the underbodies of the GM trucks mostly on the steel brake lines and the gas lines due to poor quality steel that's creating a safety problem caused by lines bursting and loss of brakes. There are lengthy complaints on the internet about this problem and GM refuses to recall these dangerous trucks . The line replacement on these trucks is very expensive because of the positioning and the amount of the lines used for the ABS system which should have never been installed in trucks anyway. If you don't know how to drive without it , then you shouldn't be driving. All of the steel used under these trucks including the frames have heavy scale rust if they are used in the areas where there is snow and ice and you don't see this type of rust on old chevy trucks of 40 or 50 years ago. GM needs to wake up because more and more people are going to the competition. I see more and more Ford and Dodge trucks on the road anymore and very few GM in comparison . It's a shame because Chevrolet used to represent America .

Old 04-11-2016, 03:43 AM
Beginner

You are correct concerning the brake lines. I've had a 1999 Sierra and now own a 2004 Sierra, both have had the brake lines blow out due to rusted lines. When that happens, you have NO Brakes. I've been lucky in that one blew when I had it in the garage, and the other time it was in my driveway. I can't imagine what the outcome would be if I was rolling up on a highway stoplight, doing 70. Bad...Bad things!!!

Quick Reply: Common Chevy & GMC Issues