Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Cone air filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Default RE: Cone air filter

ORIGINAL: smoke20

I don't think it matters alot between the two intakes, just make sure it is plastic not metal.
I've wondered where the K&N is tubular all the way (from what I can tell) and the Airaid flattens and takes on something of an L shape (from what I can tell or maybe it jsut flattens out) if the K&N might have less restriction.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Default RE: Cone air filter

ORIGINAL: withac

There is a thin flap that runs up the length of the side of the radiator tank as well as a thicker piece of flat plastic in back of the headlight assembly and in front of the air box. If you have opened up the front of the air box wouldn't removing these flaps let more in straight through the front end of the vehicle? As close as the filter is to the front you'd probably need a water sock like some of you mentioned but this might give you more air. I did a similar thing on my 2K Durango when I put an AirRaid in it, but the D had the filter further back, on the fender well, so I never worried about too much water coming in the front and getting to it. Where the Chevy (the D was totalled and replaced with a 2K Tahoe 5.3) filter is that close to the front the water might be an issue.
Okay, I emailed K&N and asked if they thought the Drycharger would be sufficient protection if I opened up the front end like I’ve been talking about. The tech asked that I not publish the response verbatim and I can understand and respect that. He said if anyone had any questions to please feel free to contact customer support through their website. He was very helpful and the response time was very good. To summarize, he didn’t know if there would be any air sensor issues from the added air direction but I could of course always try it and see if it helped. He said the Drycharger would be a big help, it is strong, lightweight, and won’t restrict airflow while adding protection for the filter. The waterproofing only lasts about a year so it would need to be replaced yearly. I think I’m gonna give it a shot but won’t be able to until spring.