Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Cone air filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Default RE: Cone air filter

jcbst, how do you remove that plate?

Old 01-16-2008, 10:36 AM

Remove the entire air box from the mounting plate (black metal plate underneith), then simply unbolt all the bolts holding the plate in place (i think there is five bolts). Put the bolts back in with some washers so they will tighten up properly and your done. Clear shot, straight down from underside of hood to the pavement with nothing to block it!

Old 01-16-2008, 10:44 PM

hmm... that sounds like a really good idea... i think i'll try that this weekend, i've got some stuff to do on the truck anyway

Old 01-16-2008, 10:55 PM
TruckForum Addict

darnyankee's setup looks interesting but the first big mud puddle you splash through it's gonna suck up water. It also won't work for us guys with clutch fans instead of electric fans.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:06 PM

yeah... cant do that one, but i wonder if moving the maf affects anything?

Old 01-17-2008, 03:38 AM

[/quote]

IDEA: What about flipping the box so the opening was facing down and removing the plate underneith? I removed the plate that the airbox was attached to when installing my CAI leaving a big unblocked void between the filter and the pavement. If you did this with the airbox and could find a way to turn it upside down with the lid off and hold it in place, cooler air could be pulled from underneith while blocking the hot engine compartment air. (Unless my truck it set up differently than yours). Just a thought.

[/quote]

I was thinking about something like this but i haven't really had the time. I might try it this weekend. thanks for the good idea. my other thhought is to "hang" it down through the hole like the others have it done but then also fab up a box that would be open only on the down side that would shield it from the water on bottomand heat on top. i'll try to draw it

Old 01-17-2008, 07:40 AM

With my truck my idea wouldn't work right just because the lid for the airbox is where it connects to the MAF. But with some good ol' fashioned cutting Im sure that could be fixed.

Chevy112488 - how come it won't work? I imagine its a different setup. From what I read about MAF sensors you can actually increase the distance between it and the TB without a problem. Sometimes it will help the truck run more efficiently. BUT, I wouldn't go too far:
1. Too much tube and distance between the MAF and TB might make put a dent in your throttle response.
2. Too close to the underside of the truck means its probably going to get wet at some point and Im sure it won't like that, lol.

Popo - Yours might be different too. There should be some way to make it work though. I like you idea, if it works I might try it.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:07 AM

K/N has a water sock that fits over the air filter that keeps the water out.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:25 PM

jcbst- i was just wondering if damnyankee's setup affected anything since his maf is so close to his throttle body... i just realized though i have a big hole in the bottom of my airbox... i may just go with a cone filter... ill mess around with it this weekend

Old 01-17-2008, 01:03 PM

Chevy112488 - You can always pop rivet a piece of plastic in place of the hole on your airbox. If you do a cone filter, an AEM filter is only $25 and they come in alot of colors. The filter that came with my intake rusted out already from water spraying on on the cheap metal housing (from in between cracks in the hood). SO I got an AEM one, its not as big but it looks cooler and has about the same airflow from what I can tell. Its housing is stainless I believe and the screen on the filter element is painted so I don't have to worry about rust too much.

Just another thought, what about those cheapie intakes that you put on your stock intake. It goes from the maf, has about a foot long tube that aims the duct downward and then you put a cone filter on the end (look on ebay). Put that on your CAI at the MAF and put the filter at the end. The end result would be the same setup as damnyankee with the use of your already purchased aftermarket intake.

Quick Reply: Cone air filter