Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Default cruise control

looking for a place to purchase a aftermarket cruise control for my 2006 silverade ext. cab 4.8. Tried looking all over with no luck. any help is appreciated!

Old 08-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Default RE: cruise control

I found these guys on Ebay; www.thecruisecontrolstore.com I bought their original Delco cruise control handle. They say since these trucks have electronic throttle (no mechanical linkage), you just install the CC handle in place of the turn signal stem, run four CC wires sown to a 52 pin terminal block under the dash, and you have OEM cruise control. I ordered the handle Friday (115.00 plus 10.50 ups), don't have it yet, but here is the link to the instruction manual, click on the Chevy v8 link for download.

http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com/installinst.html

Sounds to easy?? I hope so. I too was looking for aftermarket, but I am happy to have OEM for clean installation. This is for Chevys with V8 engines, not V6's.

Randy, Las Vegas 05 4.8 Silv 4x4

Old 08-24-2006, 01:16 AM

Well, I got the Delco original cruise control handle last week and succesfully installed it. The job took about 3 hours of slow, methodical effort. I just took my time. The instructions were about half as good as they should be, but they get the job done. This is definately the cleanest way to add cruise control to a late model V8 Silverado. You are really just replacing the the turn signal stem and running four wires into a terminal block under the dash. If others have specific questions, I would try to answer them.

Regards,
Randy, Las Vegas 05/1500/4x4/4.8

Old 09-01-2006, 03:36 PM

Good info!!

I am planning on buying a 2007 Sliver 1500, it has all I want except cruise. I guess this is the way to add it??.

Another question, My silver is a base plus, auto/air. I don't really like the vinyl flooring.
Can you add a factory carpet after???
Thank for any and all info

Old 09-01-2006, 10:36 PM

OK Stash:
It's the way to add Cruise IF your new truck will have a V8. As stated in my previous posts, the V8 models have electronic throttle, which allows this clean install. Apparently the V6 models still have mechanical throttle linkage and require a full CC system installed, much more involved. I am very happy with the way my installation worked out. My truck is the so called "work" model that came without cruise & carpets. Luckily, A/C, guages, auto trans & tilt are standard now. The only cost added option on my truck was the am/fm radio.

Regards,
Randy, Las Vegas 05/1500/4.8/4x4

Old 09-12-2006, 10:54 AM

I just ordered mine for my 07 Silverado 4.8 V8 for $135.00. Do you have any hints or tips for me before I install it??

PS--Chevy Dealer wanted over 700.00 to add it !!

THANKS! for any info

Stashu

Old 09-12-2006, 12:48 PM

Stash, why would you use aftermarket when oem is available for 240.00?

Old 09-12-2006, 01:09 PM

My truck did not come with cruise. I think the 240.00 you are talking about is added option at time of ordering/truck purchase. If you add it after it's much more, unless you go aftermarket. Supposely the cruise I odered is OEM.

Thanks Stash

Old 09-12-2006, 06:07 PM

OK Stash: If you ordered the oem Delco from www.cruisecontrolstore.com as described in my posts above, they furnish fairly clear instructions but there are about three things I would do. When you extend the wires, they have you do that after you install the new turn signal/cc stem on the column. I would extend the wires on the bench and clearly mark them prior to installing the stem. When you get down to the 52 pin terminal block under the dash, you have to release it from it's mount. It is mounted to a metal plate on it's left hand side. There is a small release latch near the metal plate. Once you release this latch, the block has two "keyed" posts you have to slide and rattle the block to get it to come off the metal mounting plate. On the front of the terminal block is a gray plastic handle sort of like on a suitcase. This is NOT the release handle to free the block from the metal plate. It is a swinging handle that unlocks the terminal block itself in half for some sort of disassembly. It LOOKS like it should be the release handle. Leave it alone. The real dismounting latch is over on the left near the metal mounting plate. They do not show this clearly in the instructions. Lastly, after you pull the terminal block off it's metal mount, you have to pull it outward to get to the four places you need to splice wires. The pink wire is a positve power into the block, the other three are half it's size and are color coded per the instructions. Because of poor instructions, I spliced all four wires. I called the vender to ask some questions and was told that the three small wires, NOT THE PINK, can be cut off the terminal block and attached to your extended stem wires WITHOUT being reattached to the terminal block. The large pink wire MUST remain attached to the block, I skinned some insulation off it and soldered the new wire to it without cutting it etc. I did disconnect my battery ground strap before beginning. If I had known you could cut the other three wires off the terminal block and just connect them to your extended stem wires, it would have saved me an hour of acrobatic soldering. I would talk to the vendor to confirm this is so. I believe that is what they told me. Otherwise, as descibed in my previous posts, it's a clean istallation and just like Chevy would have done it at the factory.

Good Luck,

Randy, Las Vegas

Old 09-13-2006, 10:03 AM

THANKS!! for the very informative info!!

Stash

Quick Reply: cruise control