Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:48 AM

I realize this thread is quite old but I'll give this a try.

I've been attempting to add cruise to my 03 Silverado (5.3, W/T) the past few days. I went to the salvage yard and picked up a used multi-function stalk with cruise on it from an 04 Silverado. Using the instructions from thecruisecontrolstore.com, I disassembled the dash and installed the stalk w/cruise. There was a pre-wired "pigtail" connector that plugged into the four wire connector for the cruise control. Only difference was one wire on the trucks harness was brown instead of the required pink, all other wires were the correct color codes. So I attempted to just connect the plug together and give it a test drive to see if it worked. Cruise didn't work.

Next I spliced off the brown wire from the connector, added a different wire to it and connected into the larger pink wire into the BCM block connector. Another test drive but still nothing. I also tried the smaller pink wires but still nothing.

In the instructions it says to get to the back side of the 52pin connector but I found this impossible. I did remove it from the metal bracket but the wire harness just wasn't long enough to pull it out. So I guess i wasn't sure which wires I needed to splice into because I couldn't get to the rear of the plug. But since there was a 4 wire connector already there for the cruise I thought that should work but not having any luck with it.

I read that wilbertg had his connection pre-wired and his worked so I'm wondering whats wrong with mine. On another forum I've since read also say's all the 03 Silverados were pre-wired and you just need to install the multi-function stalk w/cruise. I've also checked the fuse and it's there and appears to be fine. The only thing I'm concerned about now is whether or not the cruise works on this used stalk from the salvage but all the other functions work just fine on it.

I'm open for any suggestions on what to try next. Thanks.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:57 PM
TruckForum Addict

This might be a dumb question, but how does it work? Any probelms? Or does it work like factory?

Old 05-28-2011, 08:14 PM

Well, it doesn't work at all. Nothing happens when pushing in the cruise at 55mph. No lights turn on in the instrument cluster. Nothing. Just running out of ideas on this.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:15 AM

I know this works on my colorado, all I had to do was buy the switch, hook it up and I had cruise. The silverados must be different.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:15 AM

Well I guess it is possible that the cruise doesn't work because I bought a used salvage yard part. Not sure how I would test it to find out though unless I find someone who has a Silverado with cruise and try it in their vehicle.

Is it possible that cruise function wasn't programmed in the BCM from the factory?

Old 08-17-2011, 01:55 AM

Those of you who did this did you end up having to solder anything? Or can you just splice and connect? I know zero about soldering... From what I could understand from the Original Poster was that you don't. Hopefully I am understanding it correctly. And hopefully one of you is still on this site. THANKS.

Also, to the most recent poster. I know this may be a dumb question but are you sure you have the "slide switch" in the on position? If its all the way to the left I believe it is off. So if you hit the set cruise nothing will happen. It has tot be in the middle position I believe. I'm sure you already knew that but thought I'd mention it just in case.