Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Different Clunking noise........

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Default Different Clunking noise........

00 1500 4wd.

In 2hi.. Clunks during initial movement intermittently, clunks while turning MOST of the time....

I have...
1. Put truck up in air. Inspected for broken mounts, u-bolts, leaf, control linkage....
2. Wiggled front wheels, tie rods are worn but don't think it is cause.
3. Shocks are worn, left front bump stop is about 1/2" from touching with vehicle on ground and leaking.
4. Rotated rear axle at right tire, would turn then "lock up", had to turn opposite direction to get to turn again.
5. Removed rear driveshaft.
6. Turned at right rear again, everything moves freely, no clunking.
7. Stuck prybar in pinion yoke, to keep yoke from turning, turned at right rear again, same thing as with driveshaft hooked up, would turn freely for a period of time then would "lock up" again having to back it off to get it to turn again.

Thoughts......
Suggestions.....

Please!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 10:18 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator
Default RE: Different Clunking noise........

sounds like u joints........how about upper ball joints? cv joints? where is the clunck sound like its coming from?

Old 01-29-2009, 11:39 PM

ORIGINAL: chrisbmo2000

sounds like u joints........how about upper ball joints? cv joints? where is the clunck sound like its coming from?
So is it normal for the differential to lock up with the pinion being held? I'm not sure what diff he has, I haven't looked up the vin yet, and I'm not a chevy guy so I can't tell by looking... I also work on tractors not cars...

If it is a LS I couln't see how I could possibly be spinning it fast enough with my hand to get it to lock...

I was thinking spider gears, but I didn't want to contaminate any responses with my highly uneducated guess...

The clunk sounds like it is coming from the rear, but feels like it is coming from the front, it has the same feel as a tranny mount, but doesn't act like a tranny mount at all....

And as far as u-joints, not saying it isn't possible but, I did replace his driveshaft(rear) for him(along with new joints, in august).

This truck is a lemon, no other way to put it, it has 130,000 miles on it as a one owner(his unlce) who did very little to no maintenance on it, he bought it sight unseen last summer because it looked pretty...... We drove 8 hours to pick it up, and my initial thought was, aslong as you are happy........ I've done more work to this truck in the last 7 months than I have to any of my many vehicles(minus one engine) for the last 9 years of driving.......

Old 01-30-2009, 07:09 AM

Id look into the ball joints if it feels like its coming from the front. Another remote possibility is the torque converter/flywheel connection or motor mounts. As far as the rear diff "locking up" I would assume this is normal...if it wasnt you would notice something diffrent than a clunk. After rereading your post I think you will find your problem in the front end.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:46 PM

How do you check the ball joints? I thought that was up and down wiggle???

I have side to side wiggle which would be the tie rods....

Also how do you check the CVs???

My thought process is that the tie-rods being worn are stressing the CVs.....

I dunno.....
I've been under this thing for about 4 hours and nothing looks wrong, or feels wrong, but if you put it on the ground it sure feels wrong and sounds wrong.........

Plus I'm letting him drive my F-150, cuz I also have a company vehicle and I miss my truck so, I want to get his pos fixed............

Old 02-03-2009, 06:17 PM

So........

I finally had time to look at it again, been sitting in garage since saturday, I removed the cover for the diffo and yeah, lets just say the gear ratio is not correct!!!! There are a lot of teeth missing on the ring&pinion.

Time for a new diffo?(junkyard?) Or just clean everything up and replace ring&pinion?

Old 02-03-2009, 06:58 PM

just replace the ring n pinion...............its not fun but that is the cheapest way to go I think