Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't hate me!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Default Don't hate me!

I have someone willing to give me 9,000 for my truck. I am also looking at smaller pickups again. Particularly a new Frontier. Here are my Pros and Cons:

Frontier:
Pros: For the money its the best performer out of all the competition. It comes with a v-6 4.0, 260hp, 17 city (on the 4X4) and 21 highway. It has more options standard (even for the basline truck) than GM, Dodge, Ford and Toyota. I can get a 6 speed with the 4X4, 4 doors, cruise control, power windows and mirrors, CD player and tow hitch with trailer harness for 25K. Gear ratios are optional, you have two choices and its free of charge to have either. An obviously it will need no work done to it. (Maybe an intake, lol).
Cons: I'd owe 25K on it. Its smaller and less comfortable than my truck. Less capable. Can't get it in blue without a 1500 body trim upgrade (NISMO package). I'd rather have a toyota but not for the money comapred to this truck. (Toyota Tundra 230hp and no manual with the V6 option and 28K with same options except an automatic).

My Baby:
Pros: Quick for its size. Strong as an ox. Comfortable. It has a pretty easy to feed V8. Its the best color blue I could ask for. Throw an exhaust on it and I'd be happy as a clam, wouldn't need to put anymore money into mods to be satisfied (besides the repairs). I only owe 9K on it. I have all kinds of extra parts for it including wheels. Because of my mods it should be around 300hp.
Cons: It needs cab corners ($500 +), paint touched up, cup holder mechanism replaced and some detailing to make it the way I want it. I really don't need a truck this big but I still need a truck. Plus Im worried that its gonna nickel and dime me after 100K (has 81K on it now).

Old 01-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Default RE: Don't hate me!

I'll take any and all input on this!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:11 AM

Oh my god, you can't buy "foreign" trucks, lol! I wouldn't keep something that rust out with only 81,000 miles! Actually the only people you'll get trying to flame you is on the net. Where ever i go with my Tundra, i get alot of peoples interest and compliments on my Yota, not negativity. Then again I'm 240lbs, usually no one tries to intentionally p!ss me off unless they know me, lol!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:49 AM

Yeah, well I take everything with a grain of salt. I ask around for advice cause I like to do my homework and plan things out first. One thing thats a problem is where I live. NOTHING, whether it be Toyota, Ford, Dodge, Nissan, etc, NOTHING lasts more than 7 years without rust unless you garage it and clean it 24-7. Im just happy I have galvinized steel on mine, too bad they didn't do the cab corners too. My biggest beef is depriciation. I buy ANY new truck and its going to plummit in the next 5,6,7 years because of the expected gas prices. All vehicels will do this, I admit its less with Tundras, but its still there. I dunno, I guess what Im trying to say is that I need to spend wisely now that I have a house and a job where I'm moving through the ranks. A new pickup of anykind is not wise spending to me unless it can provide me a cost savings somewhere. The Nissan would but not until further down the road where the Silverado would start wearing out. And as far as the flaming thing goes (that just sounded wrong) anyone who has something negative to say about my truck usually has something far easier for me to rip on. Either being tiny, ugly girlfriend/wife, living at home, not gettin any, living in debt, or just insecure. I don't have to worry about any of those things so an older chevy ain't going to hurt my pride any. Anything beyond that, well Im no 240, but 215 with no fat on me ain't bad either.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:39 AM
TruckForum Addict

I say sell it and buy a Tacoma. The Frontier's are nice but you'd probably enjoy the Toyota more. I'm actually thinking about selling my truck if I can get my loan knocked down a couple grand(which'll never happen). I owe like $14,500 on mine and it's only worth like $13,000 at best. Plus my stupid fuel pump may be having technical glitches.... it ain't goin out but it's causing problems.

I wouldn't buy anything brand new though. You get ripped badly cause as soon as you drive a new car off the lot, it instantly depreciates! Find a good used 05-06 truck and pay a good $4,000-$5,000 less than you would for a new one and you'll be glad you did!

Old 01-25-2008, 10:43 AM

25k is a lot for a truck that your not comfortable in

Old 01-25-2008, 11:02 AM

Well the Pros for the NEW Frontier vs a use anything is that for once I could have exactly what I would want with a truck. A manual trans, *****, and even a little bit better gas mileage. I can't find a used Frontier with a manual and without all the other bs that I don't need. Example, I found an 06 Nismo Edition with the roof rack and those ugly four spokes and a five speed. But it has 35K on the clock and was still $21,000. (and it was that ugly beige color). I figured an extra three grand or so would get me the options I wanted, a color I'd like, without all the garbage on it and a six speed with the cooler wheels. Ok now I kinda see what you mean, lol. Its alot of b.s. to have it like Burger King. (Have it your way).

Argon: They ride good and have alot of room its just that (Im sure you guys know) the smaller pickups are bouncy. Other than that its cool.

72Charger: Can't get a manual with a Tundra unless its a TRD. (Expensive option that I don't need). Plus the Tacoma gets the same gas mileage but at the cost of 30hp. (Frontier 260, Tacoma 230). Im not sure about the older Tacomas tho.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:02 PM

Heres my input jcbst12. I personally am impressed with the hype of the Toyota Tundra, whether its all true or not, who knows, i wouldn't want to be the dummy / guinea pig that was in that Tundra, when hoping i can stop before going off the end of the bridge (commercial). I do know the Tundras come with a 5.7L 350 V8 engine, so no gas mileage being saved there. All the Toyotas i have ridden in or driven, your knees are tucked under your chin, and my sister in law has a brand new Tacoma, and i had to drive it home one day, for her and it is very uncomfortable. I do know, a friend of mine used to have an older Toyota SR5 4x4 i believe, and he had 33" tires on it and that was it, and he went places with that in 2WD, that i had to put my GMC S-15 in 4x4, to follow him. The Titans are nice, then again, 5.6L V8. Nissan Frontiers, not sure about, good,bad, or indifferent. I guess it all comes down to what ya want for options, if you can get them options and on what truck, and for the best price. And if your happy with a Nissan Frontier, then nobodys gonna talk you out of buying one. Heres another way i look at it. Lets use 24K as price of Nissan. We'll say, payment on truck will be $400.00 a month, Insurance will be more, Registration will be more. You owe 9K on your Chevy right? Say you have 3 yrs left on your loan, "AND ITS YOURS".Are you going to end up putting $400 a month into repairs, into your Chevy? I doubt it... I understand your truck has issues with rust, and etc. Believe me, i wish i had done this, but in the last 3 yrs, i've had an '00 Dodge Ram, an '01 Grand Cherokee, and now my '03 Silverado. I ended up rolling over X amount from the Dodge Ram onto my GC loan. Then when i traded the GC for this Silverado, i ended up doing the same thing, rolling over X amount onto my Silverado loan, and my payment is $440.00 a month for 8 yrs, which means my Silverado will be 12 yrs old when its payed off. I had to bite the bullet sooner or later, if i wanted my Silverado. Glad i got it, hope it lasts me awhile, atleast 5 yrs anyways, probably longer. Good luck in your decision, Jim

Old 01-25-2008, 12:17 PM

Chevyrules: You brought up alot of good points there and I think you are right for the most part. I don't want to keep rolling money into the same loan. The only thing that really got me was the fact I have someone interested in buying my Silverado for 9 grand, and that is all I owe. I was very serious about doing this a while back because Im sick of fixing stuff outside on the street with my old truck and didn't want to do it again with the newer one. But now I have a house with a garage and I plan on fixing the truck up, and fixing the house up a little so the truck will come in handy. And yes it will be about $400 a month for the Nissan, but the Insuarance will be the same. (I have full coverage oin my 99 with theft and everything cause I carry around alot of stuff for work that I can't afford to loose). However I will be spending alot of money an her this summer. I need the cab corners fixed, new tires, tune up, and I want to spray something along side the rockers and underneith so MAYBE I can have a rust free truck until she is paid off. So there is about $1200 to $1500 to spend in the next six months, but 9000 + 1500 + 3000 (we will say for the next three years of necessary maintenance) is still better than 24K. My biggest worry is that damn transmission, I don't trust automatics in the first place but I plan on properly maintaining mine. (Crossing fingers).

Old 01-25-2008, 01:10 PM

I owend a 2005 v6 Frontier with the six speed 4x4and yes it was peppy for what it was, more so than a comprable Yota.

Pros: peppy, shifts like a damn mustang or something, 16" wheels looks better than a yota or colorado.

cons: Pretty much the truck, the six speed and clutch that it had never worked well together. i was contantly trying to find gears. on a hill stopped, i would always smoke the tires or stall it out, there was no happy medium ( ive grown up on manuals so i do know how to drive them). Seating was terrible, really stiff and not very comfortable on any distance trips. only got 15mpg city granny driving(no mods though) i owned a 2.4 ltr 4cyl 1987 nissan and loved it 10x more than my 05 thats why i got rid of it and got the Z-71.

good luck on your decision

dont get me wrong the truck was enjoyable at times but i like comfort so i opted to get rid of it.

Quick Reply: Don't hate me!