Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Don't hate me!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Default RE: Don't hate me!

Yes, rolling over $$$$$$$$$$$$ onto a new loan sux. Did you buy your truck new? If so, you know whats in it, whats been done, etc..... Even if you break even, paying off the loan on your Chevy, w/o a down payment on the Nissan, @ $24K, you're probably looking at more than $400.00 a month. For every $1K you put down, it knocks the payment down approx $10.00 a month i believe i was told. Leasing, thats a waste of money for most people. My wife leased an '03 Jeep Liberty, back in '03. She wasn't travelling many miles back then, so it seemed like a great opportunity to get her into her 1st 4X4. Over the4 yr lease, she was allowed i believe 12,000 miles a yr, can't remember exactly but,she put about 10K miles a yr = over the 1st 3 yrs which = 30,000 miles, which was still under the allotted mileage. At the end of the 3rd year of her4 yr lease, we decided to trade it in for a Dodge Grand Caravan, as at that time, we had just gotten into being foster parents, and had 2 foster children. The lump sum from trading it in early was around $10K, but we actually made out ok. When we got out of fostering, she decided to get into another 4X4 as now, she had gotten a job again, and required travelling about 50 miles a day round trip, to and from work. She was always a FORD woman, FORD this, FORD that, blah,blah,blah.... Her dad was always a CHEVY man. It was a toss up. She loved the looks of the (FORD) Explorer Sport trac, but man, those are EX PEN SIVE. She also liked the looks of the Bigger version of the sportrac, the (CHEVY) Avalanche, which we happened to see an AV @ a small dealer one day, so we pulled in with her Mini van, and we drove the Av, and she loved it, tho hesitant as it was a CHEVY. As we were doing the pre application on the Av, a couple came in looking for low and behold, a minivan.... We had the minivan for i believe 2 yrs, and it had 13,000 miles on it. To make a long story short, we bought the Avalanche, the next day, her minivan was gone from the dealership. They knew they could turn the van around in no time flat, possibly already SOLD, so they actually paid off the van, for what she owed, which i can't remember how much she owed. She now is a CHEVYGAL......... She has the official sticker on her back window that says "Real Women drive CHEVY TRUCKS.............." Just figured i'd humor you with a couple long stories, and hope your decision is the right one... JIM

Old 01-25-2008, 01:31 PM

i can't see moving to a smaller truck after being in my full size. i had an s10 and drove a frontier for a few months and they were both cramped. I am a big guy too and you are probably not going to like the loss of room. but good luck!

Old 01-25-2008, 02:22 PM

Thats alot of vehicle tunr arounds there Chevyrules! lol

I was just thinking that on size as ease of parking (work lot is cramped as hell) and the roads here are windy and my stepdads 91 yota always took to windy roads well. Plus I REALLY miss a standard transmission! lol. But I know, size does matter (no pun intended) and standard transmissions get old after awhile.

I'll prob keep her for the money reasons and because there isn't anything else in my price range that is better.

How much of a pain would it be to to a 5 speed in a silverado? Hmmmmmm.......

Old 01-25-2008, 03:30 PM

to convert or drive. i miss my old 4speed rado. that thing had 4.11s and was so much fun to drive you wouldnt believe that gas mileage on that one.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:40 PM
TruckForum Addict

Keep your truck and if you want a 5 speed then go out and buy a 4x4 truck with a 5 speed or a car. For say like 5 to 10 grand and then you have two trucks for what you would pay for one and then if one brakes then and you dont have the money right then to fix it then you have something else to drive until you fix it.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:10 PM

Personally, I would never get rid of my nice Sierra to step down to a small-er truck.

I just dont like frontiers. I hardly ever see the new ones around and my uncle had a BAD experience with a 2002 Frontier. But that was a long time ago and he gave that truck hell.

Id drive a 98-08 Tacoma for sure, but you will be paing dearly for a Taco in decent shape with lower miles.

Just do what you think is best.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:07 PM
TruckForum Addict

I really missed driving a standard too. That's part of the reason why I opted for my 87 Supra after I sold my Camaro. I was seriously planning on buying an older muscle car. Had the cash in hand to buy a 78' Monte Carlo with a good running 305 but a man just can't do without a little gear rowing in his life!

Still gonna get me another Monte Carlo one day though!

Old 01-26-2008, 01:53 AM

ALL HAILE MONTE

Old 01-26-2008, 01:54 AM

THOSE CARS ARE SO MUCH FUN AND WAY UNDER RATED. i have never had one but a few of my friends have. they are cheap and fast!

Old 01-26-2008, 01:59 PM

Man I would just keep your silverado, fix the cab corners, get the tune up and whatever else you need to do with it....don't worry about it cost you alot after 100,000. maybe it will but maybe it won't, just to let you know I have the 2000 with 5.3 and it has 155,000 on it and haven't had it in the shop for nothing big at all. just basic tune ups and oil changes. Good luck on what you decide though

Quick Reply: Don't hate me!