Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Egr headaches

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Beginner
Default Egr headaches

A while back started having the check engine light come on in my 90 5.7 tbi silverado after going down the highway for any period of time. After having several mechanics and parts houses put their code readers on it they came up with no codes, as if nothing was wrong. So, I used the paper clip in the diagnostic port trick and im coming up with code 32, f*&%$#@ egr valve. I replace the egr valve, gasket, and ohmed the solenoid, and the lines appear to be in good order. At an idle I pulled up the plunger on the egr valve slightly and the engine stumbled, telling me the ports arent clogged up.
What else could be the problem here. Pickup has 90000 miles on it and has been a garage queen powderpuff the whole time, always taken very good care of.
Im not a mechanic but good with a wrench and can usually figure stuff out pretty good. Should I just swallow my pride and give it to a mechanic and say "just fix it". Or is there something I may be missing? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Also, is the lack of any code read by a reader a sign the computer is funky and is giving a false code, but not allowing it to be read somehow? Like maybe the computer is bad?

Old 10-19-2012, 01:19 PM
TMW

Are the vaccum lines OK? As to the reader one would assume they can read pre-OBDII (1996) codes but maybe the ones used could not.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by TMW
Are the vaccum lines OK? As to the reader one would assume they can read pre-OBDII (1996) codes but maybe the ones used could not.
I just replaced the ones from the valve to the solenoid, and from the solenoid to the tb. But the ones I pulled off had no leaks and seemed to be sealing well despite being old.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Beginner

This may start a debate, but what would be the downfalls of a proper egr delete? I would rather keep everything intact as it was meant to be, but is it really necessary to have an egr valve if deleted properly? Again, Im not a master mechanic, so informative opinions and input are appreciated.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:34 PM
TMW

I don't know what affects not using the EGR valve would have other than passing a smog test. On your vaccum lines is the one to the EGR solenoid just a single line from the TBI port J? I mean it isn't split off to anything else is it?

Old 10-22-2012, 06:18 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by TMW
I don't know what affects not using the EGR valve would have other than passing a smog test. On your vaccum lines is the one to the EGR solenoid just a single line from the TBI port J? I mean it isn't split off to anything else is it?
Youre correct, just single line to the tb.