Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Ext Cab side windows leak water

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Default Ext Cab side windows leak water

Hey guys, I appologize if this is a subject that is frequently discussed, I tried the search function and didn't find anything. Basically like the subject line says, both my side windows in the ext cab leak water when I go through a drive through car wash. We had a few bad rain storms come through here over the past few weeks andthey did not leak at all during the rain storms only when I go through a car wash.

I thought if this was a common issue that you guys could tell me how to fix it. It's a 99 ext cab.

thanks in advance

Chris

Old 06-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Default RE: Ext Cab side windows leak water

I never heard of it but you could get new weather striping. I dont know if it will help any.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I looked at the old weathering it looks like it is in good shape. The window when in the closed and locked position do not seem like they close very tight? A fiend of mine has an 01 ext cab and when his is closed and locked they actually pull in what appears to be about an 1/8" tighter than what mine does?

Does the weathering (even though it looks good) does it relax over time and loose its compression?

Old 06-03-2008, 02:54 PM

HERE IS WHAT YA DO..OPEN EM UP..GET A RAG AND A PAIR OF CHANNEL LOCKS..using the rag over your pliers not to scratch paint,ease the metal of the cab (on the hinge side) inward...just a little at a time...ease that metal edge back in...try t and see if she snaps tighter for ya

Old 06-03-2008, 03:08 PM

In addition to what Argon has levied upon you, I would also like to point out that maybe the car wash shouldn't be used so frequently if the leaking persists.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Argon

HERE IS WHAT YA DO..OPEN EM UP..GET A RAG AND A PAIR OF CHANNEL LOCKS..using the rag over your pliers not to scratch paint,ease the metal of the cab (on the hinge side) inward...just a little at a time...ease that metal edge back in...try t and see if she snaps tighter for ya
Thanks Argon, however I'm not for sure if I follow? By metal edge I am assuming you are talking about the edge of the window frame that is attached to the cab?

ORIGINAL: MajorSilva

In addition to what Argon has levied upon you, I would also like to point out that maybe the car wash shouldn't be used so frequently if the leaking persists.

Point well taken. I only washed ittwice before I realized it was leaking (Daughter was in the back and told me on the 2nd one)I washed it once more after that to "see it for myself" of course I had rags ready when I did it this last time. I don't plan on making a habit of going through the car wash even if it didn't leak, because I typically wash by hand, but I still would like to fix it.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:20 PM

I guess I will try this too, mine doesnt really leak water but is pretty noisy on one side while on the highway. hopefully that will do it

Old 06-04-2008, 04:09 AM

yes..the glasses need to snap tighter..the only way to make those shut tighter is to "bend" the frame edge inside a tad..it only take a little.