Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Gauge Cluster issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Default Gauge Cluster issues

Ahoy!

Names Zane, n00b-status. I checked the FAQ's and searched the forum and found only one reference to gauge cluster issues with no real information.

I've got an 03 duramax 2500 2wd LT pkg. Every now and then the cluster wigs out and does some peculiar stuff. It'll sometimes just not work, the information display works but the needles won't move and just peg low values.

Other times the Tach will just stop working while driving, or it'll read inaccurately. I read on the FAQ's that this could be a stepper motor? First chevy I've ever owned, and before I crack open the dash and start investigating I figured I'd ask to see if others have experienced this and what the fix may be. Oh yeah and the other bizarre thing is the shift indicator works as it feels like and frequently is dim or unreadable during the day.

Thanks
Zane

Old 09-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

It could be the stepper motors but that usually will only affect one guage at a time (they all have individual motors). I have never heard of multiple motors going out at once, but I guess it's possible. Did they all start acting up at the same time? I would pull the cluster and check the harness that plugs into it. Make sure it's plug in good, it's clean, and no prongs are bent over or damaged. There are a few people on eBay advertising cluster repair if it ends up being that. Good Luck!

Old 09-30-2009, 10:33 PM

I would check the plug in the back and also look for chafing on the wire. Some of those models had an issue with the wiring harness rubbing on a brace in the dash, I can't remember which models but it's worth a look. With the problems you're describing it sounds like an electrical issue at least. Good luck and keep us posted.