Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Give me your input

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:51 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Good deal Shamrock!! Let us know if ya get a MPG increase.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:10 AM

Buy a K&N air filter then see what happens before you make your air box.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Ok well I towed the boat Saturday and I was very happy with how the truck performed. There is a certain hill where my truck would really tach up before (close to 5000 RPM once) which made me cringe. I was able to climb it Saturday at about 3700 RPM. I am sure this was slightly due to me preparing for the hill and speeding up before I got to it this time as well, but it still felt stronger. The truck was also more responsive at cruising speed when needing to accelerate. Now keep in mind the truck got a complete tune up in addition to the new air box mod last week so I am not going to credit it totally to the air box. I also came home Saturday night and my Black Bear Computer was on the front porch. It was installed Sunday. I drove it around the block Sunday and the throttle response was incredible. I didn't drive it today, but I am sure I will be pulling the boat again next weekend so I will be interested to see how it does. So far I would definitely recommend the air box mod. I will post how it does next weekend.

Last edited by Mr_Shamrock; 08-03-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Sweet dude!!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:36 AM

Sounds like you got everything you wanted and more. I still see you guys only leaving possitive feedback about Justin at Black Bear. I have been waiting to hear something negative but yet to hear it. Great work Shamrock!

Old 08-07-2009, 12:13 PM

Good side to your idea: Colder air.
Bad side to your idea: Longer route for the air to travel before getting to the engine which kills throttle response (in some cases).

Things that will help would be a bigger air tube and a high flow filter. The biggest gains will be felt in extreme temperatures only. If there was an easy way to get rid of the box but keep the ram air tube I bet it would work better. Idea brewing......

Old 08-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I am not sure I agree with the longer route statement...it still is the same distance from the air box to the throttle body. The air box now just has more cold air supplied to it. I did not seal the duct from the valance to the air box. It simply directs air to the hole that was cut into the air box. The duct stops about 8 inches from the box and gets air from where the fog lights would be cut into the valance (my truck does not have fog lights so it was just an empty hole in the valance). I could see your point if the box was completely sealed to the duct. I am not sure in this design the duct is actually doing much and I may pull it out to see if there is a difference. The way the inner fender curves probably already pushes air in that direction. So it may actually be blocking more than it is providing. I am sure this isn't a major HP provider anyway - just an excuse to be working on the truck.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:13 PM

Glad you got it done, and the BB tune came in as well. Sounds great Justin can tune the heck out of them things.