Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM boys spreading in this forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Default RE: GM boys spreading in this forum.

GM sold their share of Isuzu over a year ago and Toyota bought into Isuzu at least 3 months ago. I don't believe GM owns any part of Toyota but they do have at least one shared platform and engine. The Pontiac Vibe and the Toyota Matrix are identical aside from cosmetic changes and I do believe the 2.2L Ecotec engine found in the Cobalts and GM's other entry class vehicles is the same engine as the base engine found in the Toyota Celica. I haven't heard of Toyota signing any deal with Cat but there has been tonnes of rumors that Toyota, Nissan and even Ford have been working with Cat on a Diesel. Toyota is rumored to be unveilling their very first 3/4 or 1 ton this year at one of the major car shows but no diesel is expected. Nissan and Dodge are both due for remodeling and I hear the F-150 will be getting an early makeover. I drive trucks for a living and 95% of the trucks that I have driven were equiped with Cat engines but I know Cat was and might still be having troubles with the new emission controls. Their big shot C-15 was delayed a year because they couldm't meet emission standards. The company I work for had switched to Kenworths equipped with Cummins for that year and that was probably a big loss for Cat considering we bought over 10 units last year and never all the other companies that switched engines.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:44 PM

Thats news to me about the Cats emission problem. I am going by word of mouth I prob shouda mentioned that. Family is tied into several construction and building contractors, most of which own, operate and fix there own equipment. The uncle swears by Mack for ease of use and maintenance. His brother-in-law puts Cats into every damn vehicle he has and swears by them stating he "Only wants the best motors." Well aside from that they are just really popular round here. But the last I was in the loop was two years agao or more when I stopped working for the uncle. The Toyota signing Cat was told to me by Manager of Day Toyota when I gave him **** about HD trucks, lol. Yeah prob pullin my leg, I'll admit cause I haven't found anything online about this.

So how does that work with Toyota now? Yota has the rights to Duramax or GM? Yota going to use the Duramax too?

Old 11-02-2007, 06:42 PM

A google search says Toyota is discussing with Isuzu, but, there is no current evidence that GM/Isuzu are parting ways.
In the motorcycle world Rotax motors are used in multiple brands but with minor differences.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:46 PM

GM will keep the Duramax for a while,they a new 4.5L Duramax for the 1500 and the Hummer coming out in 2009 or 2010. I just read the other day in Diesel Power Magazine thatToyota will be debuting their HD at this years SEMA show with a Concept Hino Diesel. Hino is a medium duty truck that I believe is also owned by Toyota. No exact details on the engine size or potential output or if it's even true but it'll be interesting to see what they come out with.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:12 AM

This is the last info i have seen. Not sure i care for the rear wheelflares though!
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...diesel-dually/
This truck has a 8.0L, 6 cyl.inline diesel which should out torque anything in a pickup to date. Theirlooking to set another benchmark i guess!Toyota already makes this motor so i'm not sure why they would need CAT or Issuzu's help?

Old 11-03-2007, 11:31 AM

I like the paint job ....but the short bed duellie? Ummm ...it almost like someone rearended a long bed and smooshed it up.

Wheels are too darn big ...or just the wrong design for that platform ...trying to copy Ford.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:55 PM

that looks goofy as hell, lol

Old 11-03-2007, 04:10 PM

That is by far the ugliest truck i have ever seen. I believe ill push a ford before i even sit in one of those!

Old 11-03-2007, 07:13 PM

The flat paint is more common overseas I've heard. I think it looks pretty good. Even though the cab looks the same I like the look of the dually more than the current models.