Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Intermittent: Found another clue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Default Intermittent: Found another clue!!!

As some of you guys have posted on previous threads of mine, I've been having an intermittent (either) misfire or stuttering problem if you will...

... on the passenger side when I put my ear down a bit, i can hear a fast "clack" noise, about as fast as every time a spark would ignite or a lifter would rise. Not very loud though. It'll do a few consistent then skip a couple etc etc

Any ideas of what that would be and if that's causing my complete lack of acceleration/under-load power and the heavy stuttering at stop lights?

Nothing feels different when in neutral or park.

Thanks guys

1991 C1500 305 2x4 automatic.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:58 PM
TruckForum Addict

Sounds like your timing could be off. I am unfamiliar with your previous threads, but because your truck is either carbureted or throttle body injected, you wont have a fuel injector miss like a modern car would. So in my mind, the only things it could be crank bearings, warped head gasket, predetonation due to off timing, a bad lifter,r fouled spark plug, worn out cap and rotor, damaged plug wire, a plug wire not seated all the way. I'm sure there's more, but most of these things are all things you can easily look at.

Probably overwhelming, but it sounds like you've been struggling with this for a while. As far as I know, there isn't that many items that can cause this problem. It's just a matter of figuring out which is causing it.